Author Topic: Batch copy Description field text to Headline field text  (Read 4624 times)

Offline myotis

• View Profile
Batch copy Description field text to Headline field text
« on: November 28, 2019, 06:38:14 AM »
Is there any way to batch copy the text in the Description/Caption field into the headline field (about 30,000 images).

I have tended to add metadata into the Description field (using variables on ingest, plus additional text e.g. bird species names), but PM+ only allows filtering and browsing on the headline field, unless I'm missing something.  I can easily begin using the headline field in future, but I need to fix what I've done so far.

Having said that, is there a reason why you can't filter/browse on the Description/Caption field.

Thanks,

Graham

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Batch copy Description field text to Headline field text
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 11:09:15 AM »
Graham,

Is there any way to batch copy the text in the Description/Caption field into the headline field (about 30,000 images).

Yes, use the Metadata (IPTC) Template dialog and put the {caption} variable in your Headline field and apply to your images.

I have tended to add metadata into the Description field (using variables on ingest, plus additional text e.g. bird species names), but PM+ only allows filtering and browsing on the headline field, unless I'm missing something.  I can easily begin using the headline field in future, but I need to fix what I've done so far.

Having said that, is there a reason why you can't filter/browse on the Description/Caption field.

Because generally, each Caption is different for each photo.  With a million images, you'd have a million items in the Caption branch of the Browse field.  It becomes unmanageable.  I also don't recommend copying the Caption into the Headline field.  You'd be creating an unmanageable list again.

What is it that you're trying to do?  The Caption field can be thousands of characters long and does not work well shown in a list.  Headlines tend not to be as unique as Captions and they're much shorter in general.

Knowing what you're trying to do would help me suggest a solution for you.

-Kirk

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 12:44:54 PM »

Yes, use the Metadata (IPTC) Template dialog and put the {caption} variable in your Headline field and apply to your images.

Thanks Kirk.

I will set about doing this.

As regards "what I am trying to do". I'm not trying to do anything. I just needed to add metadata to help search for images (before PM6+). I chose to add it to the caption field, which hasn't been an issue until now, as that has always been browsable/searchable in other databases.

I can just as easily add it to the title field. The minimal metadata I add to the caption field would sit just as easily in there as in the caption field.

Thanks again,

Graham

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 09:52:08 PM »
Graham,

Thanks Kirk.

I will set about doing this.

As regards "what I am trying to do". I'm not trying to do anything. I just needed to add metadata to help search for images (before PM6+). I chose to add it to the caption field, which hasn't been an issue until now, as that has always been browsable/searchable in other databases.

I can just as easily add it to the title field. The minimal metadata I add to the caption field would sit just as easily in there as in the caption field.

You're unable to search for specific terms known to exist in your Captions?  I expect searches to work just fine and produce excellent results.

-Kirk

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 11:30:07 PM »
You're unable to search for specific terms known to exist in your Captions?  I expect searches to work just fine and produce excellent results.

I don't understand now, I thought your first reply explained why you couldn't specify the caption field for a search based on filtering or browsing.

Obviously a global search of terms will include the caption field and that works fine, but that wasn't the question.

However, it isn't an issue, as the limited amount of metadata that I want available to browse/filter can easily sit in both the caption and title field.

Thanks again,
Graham

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2019, 12:20:43 PM »
Graham,

I don't understand now, I thought your first reply explained why you couldn't specify the caption field for a search based on filtering or browsing.

There are three methods of getting results from the catalog system: Filter, Browse, and Search.

The first two methods don't Filter or Browse metadata contained in the Caption field.  The Search method can do a full text search of the Caption field.

-Kirk

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2019, 12:37:17 PM »
Graham,

I think that's what I said, but thanks for confirming it. 

Cheers,
Graham

There are three methods of getting results from the catalog system: Filter, Browse, and Search.

The first two methods don't Filter or Browse metadata contained in the Caption field.  The Search method can do a full text search of the Caption field.

-Kirk