Author Topic: Moving tagged images from PM 6 into Lightroom  (Read 2242 times)

Offline mikemyers

• Have Camera, Will Travel
    • View Profile
    • Smugmug Gallery
Moving tagged images from PM 6 into Lightroom
« on: January 19, 2020, 04:47:02 AM »
I've been using Photo Mechanic 5, and updated to PM 6.  I used to ingest all the images from my memory card, then tagging the better ones, selecting un-tagged, deleting, then back to viewing the tagged images, deleting excess, and so on.  Eventually maybe 80% of my images are gone, and the next step used to be to export them into Lightroom.

I was told some time ago by a PM Support Tech that there was a bug in that process, and he suggested some other ways to do it.  I figured I'd do it the easy way, open Lightroom, navigate to the folder with my tagged images, and import them into Lightroom using the MOVE function.

All of this is on a MacBook Pro running Catalina.  Lightroom is the latest version of the "Classic", so everything stays on my laptop.

Doing things the way I'm doing them now, moving photos to Lightroom is pretty effortless.  I'm in no hurry to get back to the old way to do it, but that would probably be even easier.  Any idea on when this will be fixed, so it works the way it used to, exporting images directly into Lightroom?

(I should add here that if I knew long ago how useful PM is, and how fast it is, I'd have bought it long before I did.  In the Sportsshooter.com website so many people were giving it glowing reviews, but they were working with FAR more images than I do.  I didn't realize how much it would improve everything I do on my computers.)
Mike Myers
m.smugmug.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Moving tagged images from PM 6 into Lightroom
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 05:06:09 PM »
I've been using Photo Mechanic 5, and updated to PM 6.  I used to ingest all the images from my memory card, then tagging the better ones, selecting un-tagged, deleting, then back to viewing the tagged images, deleting excess, and so on.  Eventually maybe 80% of my images are gone, and the next step used to be to export them into Lightroom.

I was told some time ago by a PM Support Tech that there was a bug in that process, and he suggested some other ways to do it.  I figured I'd do it the easy way, open Lightroom, navigate to the folder with my tagged images, and import them into Lightroom using the MOVE function.

All of this is on a MacBook Pro running Catalina.  Lightroom is the latest version of the "Classic", so everything stays on my laptop.

Doing things the way I'm doing them now, moving photos to Lightroom is pretty effortless.  I'm in no hurry to get back to the old way to do it, but that would probably be even easier.  Any idea on when this will be fixed, so it works the way it used to, exporting images directly into Lightroom?

PM never has had an "Export to Lightroom" feature.  I believe what you're talking about is using Lightroom as an "Editor" and choosing a bunch of photos and then using the "Edit Photos" command.  For some people this works fine, for others, it does not and we recommend using drag and drop instead.  Or you can find the folder with Lightroom as you're doing.

-Kirk

Offline mikemyers

• Have Camera, Will Travel
    • View Profile
    • Smugmug Gallery
Re: Moving tagged images from PM 6 into Lightroom
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 05:43:30 PM »
Thanks, and yes, that's what I was referring to.

I may try it again the "old" way, as you describe, but it's working fine the way I'm doing it now.

Again, thank you!!
Mike Myers
m.smugmug.com