Author Topic: Metadata being deleted when using Bridge  (Read 3111 times)

Offline davidr

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Metadata being deleted when using Bridge
« on: December 08, 2019, 04:53:29 PM »
Hi

Running OSX Mojave with PM6 build 3954 and PS 2020 and Bridge2020

My workflow includes running the metadata (Stationarypad) from PM as I ingest the RAW files with many fields prefilled including the Event tab and Featured Organization Code.  The FOC has the variable {filenamebase} and adds the original file name.  The Event has plain text written with the name of the event.

I then select in Photo Mechanic and edit a RAW file in PS2020 and save as a JPEG- On this JPEG all metadata is intact.

When I have finished editing the RAW files, I then switch to Bridge 2020 and run an action to sharpen the JPEG images and save as a new JPEG image in a new folder.  On these sharpened images I have noticed that the Event and FOC fields have been deleted.  The caption, keywords and other information is intact.

If I run the same action directly in Photoshop and not Bridge then the metadata is intact.

I have had long conversations with Adobe about this and have rerun the above in previous versions of Bridge which worked fine, but now delete these two fields.

I have also used Photo Mechanic 5 again and rerun the above and run the action in Bridge 2020 and the metadata is intact.

It appears that there is some incompatibility between PM6 and Bridge.  Can you help please?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Metadata being deleted when using Bridge
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 06:58:31 PM »
Hi

Running OSX Mojave with PM6 build 3954 and PS 2020 and Bridge2020

My workflow includes running the metadata (Stationarypad) from PM as I ingest the RAW files with many fields prefilled including the Event tab and Featured Organization Code.  The FOC has the variable {filenamebase} and adds the original file name.  The Event has plain text written with the name of the event.

I then select in Photo Mechanic and edit a RAW file in PS2020 and save as a JPEG- On this JPEG all metadata is intact.

When I have finished editing the RAW files, I then switch to Bridge 2020 and run an action to sharpen the JPEG images and save as a new JPEG image in a new folder.  On these sharpened images I have noticed that the Event and FOC fields have been deleted.  The caption, keywords and other information is intact.

If I run the same action directly in Photoshop and not Bridge then the metadata is intact.

I have had long conversations with Adobe about this and have rerun the above in previous versions of Bridge which worked fine, but now delete these two fields.

I have also used Photo Mechanic 5 again and rerun the above and run the action in Bridge 2020 and the metadata is intact.

It appears that there is some incompatibility between PM6 and Bridge.  Can you help please?

Please post one of your JPEG images before the data is lost and after it is lost (it can be a tiny image if you like).  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your files.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline davidr

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 09:58:14 PM »
Hi

Have attached two files ORG is the original and SHP is the file after the action was run, apart from the two fields above you will also see the contact details missing as well

Offline davidr

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 06:20:43 PM »
Hi
Any update on this issue please?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 06:33:24 PM »
David,

No.  I just got back from vacation and I am catching up on things.  I will investigate soon.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 04:20:21 PM »
David,

I've done some investigation.  The SHP version of the file is missing from its XMP metadata:

The 'photomechanic' and 'Iptc4xmpExt' xml namespaces and all associated data, which includes:
photomechanic:ColorClass="0"
photomechanic:Tagged="False"
photomechanic:Prefs="0:0:0:004259"
photomechanic:PMVersion="PM6"

and

Iptc4xmpExt:OrganisationInImageCode, which contained the "DJRD4259" data
Iptc4xmpExt:Event, which contained the "ALEAGUE PHOENIX WANDERERS" data

The SHP version is also missing the contact information.

I see this directly from the data in the files and also in the Metadata (IPTC) Info dialog on PM6 and PM5.

What is it about your Bridge action that strips this metadata?  I can tell you that this does not appear to be a PM problem.

-Kirk

Offline davidr

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 06:32:47 PM »
Hi Kirk

Thanks for the update.  SHP is getting a bit technical for me.
However, I have run some more tests, using other actions as there is nothing I can see that is causing the issue.
I also ran the same tests using Bridge 2019 and do not get the error. It only occurs with Bridge 2020. It does not occur if running an action direct in PS2020
I took two sets of images and on the first ran the sharpen action, on the second set I ran a different action which just changed the dpi resolution from 72dpi to 300dpi and saved the file. I have attached the actions text for you.
As I say this only happens in Bridge 2020, if run in Bridge 2019 there is no error.

I have spent a long time with a Adobe help desk expert, who was really helpful, but concluded that Bridge 2020 and PM are not compatible with sharing some metadata

Thanks

David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 06:58:21 PM »
David,

Thanks for the update.  SHP is getting a bit technical for me.
However, I have run some more tests, using other actions as there is nothing I can see that is causing the issue.
I also ran the same tests using Bridge 2019 and do not get the error. It only occurs with Bridge 2020. It does not occur if running an action direct in PS2020
I took two sets of images and on the first ran the sharpen action, on the second set I ran a different action which just changed the dpi resolution from 72dpi to 300dpi and saved the file. I have attached the actions text for you.
As I say this only happens in Bridge 2020, if run in Bridge 2019 there is no error.

I have spent a long time with a Adobe help desk expert, who was really helpful, but concluded that Bridge 2020 and PM are not compatible with sharing some metadata

Since the data is present in the original file produced by PM but is not present in the file produced by Bridge 2020, then the problem very likely exists in Bridge 2020.  I'm not sure what I could change about PM to make Adobe's product stop deleting metadata.

If you open the file produced by PM in Bridge 2020 without running the action, does that data (that is missing after running the action), exist and can you view it?

-Kirk

Offline davidr

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2020, 07:12:31 PM »
Hi Kirk

Yes, if the file is opened from Bridge into PS it is OK, and if edited in PS and saved it is OK
It appears it is just when an action is run on the file from Bridge that metadata is deleted. If the action has a save as action, then the original file remains intact but the new file has the metadata missing.