Author Topic: File name addition  (Read 2706 times)

Offline Frank

• View Profile
    • Frank Fitzpatrick Photography
File name addition
« on: December 12, 2019, 12:30:10 AM »
I am going through a very large number of images in order to cull them both to edit out the dross and to free up drive space. I have a lot of duplicates unfortunately so that is an issue I am addressing also. Some files have an odd title for instance DSC2004 (date time UTC) while others are just the straight name DSC 2004 etc. Can anyone tell me the significance of the odd filename?

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: File name addition
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 07:36:11 AM »
I am going through a very large number of images in order to cull them both to edit out the dross and to free up drive space. I have a lot of duplicates unfortunately so that is an issue I am addressing also. Some files have an odd title for instance DSC2004 (date time UTC) while others are just the straight name DSC 2004 etc. Can anyone tell me the significance of the odd filename?

I have no idea if the camera did that naming or if you did so yourself in some way.

-Kirk

Offline Frank

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 09:22:03 AM »
I don't think it was the camera could it have been when I copied images from a Windows PC to my Mac?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 09:22:58 AM »
I don't think it was the camera could it have been when I copied images from a Windows PC to my Mac?

How did you copy the images from your Windows PC to your Mac?

-Kirk

Offline Frank

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 03:07:36 PM »
Looking at the metadata I think that the culprit is the transfer process from Windows PC to iMac. When I scan medium format transparencies I give them  suffix of T followed by the roll number, image number, camera format. That has now changed in some of my images with the metadata for a medium format image becoming a Nikon D200 when it should in fact read as Epsom Perfection. The image number is accurate but the data is whacky. Now think I have the culprit :-\

Thanks again for your help Kirk.