Photo Mechanic Plus > Feature Requests

Confused by Filter and Browsing

(1/2) > >>

photomy:
Is it not hat all catalog searching is a selection, filter, what ever word you wish  OR selecting NOT this and all with the particular attribute are eliminated from the selection.

Just a single list (rather than Filter and Browse) of searchable attributes similar to FIND and each one has the option to reverse the selection seemd would make sense.

Kirk Baker:
I'm sorry but I don't follow, please rephrase.

-Kirk

photomy:
Sorry was in a hurry to help wife.

When selecting a smaller group from a larger group it is the same process whether you call it Browser or Filter.  Filter is the notion of removing a group based on an attriubute - Browsing is selecting, based on an attribute, and removing those NOT selected.  The result is the same - a smaller set from the larger.  The word you call it is not relevant and it seems confusing to me to have both Filter and Browser tabs when you are really doing the same action.

Instead, have one selection/filter process tab (call it Filter or whatever),  have many metadata attributes to select/search from and have the following options:  1) be able to turn on or off the filter easily   2) be able to the opposite affect of the filter (NOT filter choice  or "all except").

Hopefully this is more clear.

Hayo Baan:
Hmm, don’t think I agree. I use both and to me they serve a different purpose. I’d like them to be available both if you don’t mind :)

Kirk Baker:

--- Quote from: photomy on December 15, 2019, 10:40:56 AM ---When selecting a smaller group from a larger group it is the same process whether you call it Browser or Filter.  Filter is the notion of removing a group based on an attriubute - Browsing is selecting, based on an attribute, and removing those NOT selected.  The result is the same - a smaller set from the larger.  The word you call it is not relevant and it seems confusing to me to have both Filter and Browser tabs when you are really doing the same action.

--- End quote ---

They're not the same thing.  Browse starts with nothing and as you select items in the tree you get more results.  Filter starts with everything and as you select items you get fewer results.

They're both useful in my book.

-Kirk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version