Author Topic: Browsing by Description and/or GPS status  (Read 3412 times)

Offline StephenEdgar

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Browsing by Description and/or GPS status
« on: December 17, 2019, 04:23:16 AM »
Hi Folks,
I'd like to clarify if it is currently possible to browse a catalogue by Description or GPS status. I notice that these fields are not 'ticked' as being available for browsing, but I'm unsure if this means that these fields can be activated by myself or are not available at present. My reason for this query, is that I wish to initially select images by Person Shown, and then 'drill down' to ensure each Person Shown image selected has both a Description/Caption and GPS location).
Any insight on this issue would be appreciated,
Regards,
Stephen

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Browsing by Description and/or GPS status
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 08:30:31 AM »
Stephen,

I'd like to clarify if it is currently possible to browse a catalogue by Description or GPS status.

I'm not sure what you mean by "GPS status", but we don't make the Caption/Description available for browsing/filtering because it tends to be a long field and most images do not share the same exact caption so the list would be long and would increase indexing time significantly.

I notice that these fields are not 'ticked' as being available for browsing, but I'm unsure if this means that these fields can be activated by myself or are not available at present. My reason for this query, is that I wish to initially select images by Person Shown, and then 'drill down' to ensure each Person Shown image selected has both a Description/Caption and GPS location).

While this solution may not be as convenient as seeing both data items in the browse tree (or the Filter system) you could customize two of the Contact Sheet thumbnail labels to display the {caption} and {latitude}, {longitude}.  Then when you click on a set of persons shown you could scroll through the thumbnails looking for blank thumbnail labels.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline StephenEdgar

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 08:57:46 AM »
Hello Kirk,
Thank you for your help and insight. It was most appreciated.
Regards,
Stephen

Offline dbreslauer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 09:25:08 AM »
Kirk, so as I understand, there is not a way to search for any of the information in the Description (Caption) field?  This is a huge fail if that is the case, and would be a showstopper for me.

david breslauer

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 10:47:26 AM »
David,

Kirk, so as I understand, there is not a way to search for any of the information in the Description (Caption) field?  This is a huge fail if that is the case, and would be a showstopper for me.

There is no browsing/filtering of the Caption field.  You can certainly search that field.  Use the Search tab and enter the words you want to find in your Captions.  The results should be accurate and efficiently displayed.

-Kirk