Author Topic: So time consuming to get my PM 6+ catalogues to pick up new additions  (Read 2859 times)

Offline Henry Gilbey

• View Profile
Taken on board all help and advice from you kind people, but it still seems to be so time consuming and illogical to get my PM 6+ catalogues to pick up on new images that I add to my image library, or am I still doing something wrong?

Thanks to some brilliant tips from some kind soul earlier in the week I have now set up various snapshots for copying and/or moving images around from PM6+ to my image libraries on my iMac. Shot a load of photos yesterday, did my usual ingest of the RAW files into PM6+, then edited down, renamed, keyworded, processed the RAW files into JPEGs via Capture One, and then picked them back up as the JPEGs in PM6+. As I always do.

So my outputted JPEGs are now in a single folder from which - within PM6+ - I would now copy the relevant images into specific folders within my iMac based. But before I do this I now right click on the selected images and "Include in Catalogue" with the relevant catalogue of course checked within the active catalogues tab. From within PM6+ I then copy specific images to specific folders within my image library. I would usually then move those JPEGs to another folder to store them until Time Machine and cloud storage has done its thing and I am backed up a couple of times.

To test this out though, this time I deleted the "spare" JPEGs, but of course they have been copied across to my image library.

And I run a keyword search of the catalogue using a specific keyword that I know would only pick up a few specific images I shot yesterday...............

And they are not found.

I thought that if I moved images around within PM6+ then the catalogues would keep track of them after I had done the right click "Include in Catalogue" thing, but obviously not.

So I went back to each folder in my image library that I had copied the most recent images into and did the right click "Include in Catalogue" thing, and then ran the keyword search and they were picked up.

Surely this can't be right? Each and every time I shoot images which need to go into specific folders because of how I work I am then going to have to manually go into those folders from within PM6+ and do the right click "Include in Catalogue" thing? This takes far too long and it's also far too open to me forgetting to do this and then not being able to find specific images in the future.

Am I doing something fundamentally wrong here, or is the way that PM6+ is designed to work?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: So time consuming to get my PM 6+ catalogues to pick up new additions
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 08:50:10 AM »
Henry,

It could be a bug.  It could be something unimplemented.

We want to have catalog maintenance be as seamless as possible.

Moving/deleting/renaming from within PM with already cataloged images should be seamless, meaning no need to follow up by re-adding images to the catalog.  If that isn't working then this is unintended behavior and would be classified as a bug.

How are you moving your images?  Via drag and drop?  Via the Copy/Move Photos dialog?

Or are you copying existing images to a new location and you're expecting that the copies will automatically be added to your catalog?  If that's the case, we currently don't have an option for that.  One could be added to the Copy Photos dialog, but I'm not sure how we would handle that for drag and drop (there is no UI for it, though it could be a global preference.)

-Kirk
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 09:46:22 AM by Kirk Baker »

Offline Henry Gilbey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 11:13:13 PM »
Kirk, thanks as ever for replying, I am guessing you are scary-busy..............

I have a great big folder on my hard drive which let's call HENRY JPEGs to make things easier - within that are a load of sub-folders with titles that reflect what I shoot for my work. I have pointed PM6+ at this great big folder as one of my "Active Catalogues" and the search facilities of that catalogue are incredibly useful, thanks for that.

But all my work within PM is done outside of that final HENRY JPEGs folder/folders until I am ready to copy the finished JPEGs into it if that makes sense?

And thanks to some kind soul on here I have now set up a bunch of snapshots for your right click "Copy Photo" option which works brilliantly - but when I copy the JPEGs into my HENRY JPEGs folder via the Copy Photo thing, they are not being picked up in the catalogue until I manually go in there, right click on the most recently copied/saved images and hit "Include in Catalogue".

I assumed that an Active Catalogue would be automatically tracked as such, i.e. new additions to it would be picked up by PM6+, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

And as I said, if I kinda cheat my system as such and highlight all the new images and "Include in Catalogue" before I copy them into their specific folders, when I then move/copy those images into my HENRY JPEGs folder the catalogue isn't picking them up and I have to do it manually.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 11:55:17 PM »
Henry,

Thanks for the clarification.  We don't add to a catalog, items that happen to be copied into a folder that has previously been scanned for images.  If you had added those image where they were before the copy and instead did a move, then they should be tracked.

It would be possible to make it so copied images to 'known' folders were automatically added to the catalog.

-Kirk

Offline Henry Gilbey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 12:43:27 AM »
Kirk, a great big Xmas please!

Yes, that is exactly what I am after - when I copy or move images to a "known" folder, it would be SO much easier and more logical if those images were automatically added to my catalogue.

Many thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 06:25:40 AM »
It will have to be after Christmas, Henry.  I'm taking the rest of the year off, starting tomorrow.

-Kirk

Offline Henry Gilbey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019, 06:29:53 AM »
Quite right, Happy Christmas Kirk, and thanks for all your help.........

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2019, 02:20:28 PM »
Merry Christmas and a happy New Year, Kirk and all the folks out there!
Best regards,
Luiz Muzzi