Author Topic: PM always is producing XMP-files. How stop this?  (Read 14746 times)

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM always is producing XMP-files. How stop this?
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2020, 10:44:13 AM »
Well this is really great. I just posted an identical topic and removed it when I saw this one. I'm using Fuji RAW files though. I have all the settings for creating XMPs off like OP and it's still creating new XMP files upon ingesting. Looking forward to the new release.

I hate to break the bad news to you but Fuji RAF files will likely never have embedded XMP added.  These files are not a TIFF-based RAW format like pretty much every other RAW format.  If I recall they are more like a modified JPEG.

Another exception currently are ISO BMFF formats such as Canon's CR3 files, Apple's iOS-created HEIC files, and Canon's upcoming HEIF files that end in HIF extension.  We are hoping to find a solution for these formats but the open source libraries out there do not have methods to update these files with new XMP.

I wonder if anyone requesting we remove the XMP sidecar files uses Adobe's software (Adobe doesn't embed XMP - it always creates XMP sidecar files)?  If not, what other software is being used?  XMP sidecar files are recognized by a number of other applications besides Photo Mechanic and Adobe's LR & PS.  One of the reasons we made embedding of XMP possible in the first place was to make PM compatible with Nikon's Capture NX 2 software which did not recognize XMP sidecar files - it had to be embedded to be recognized/updated by CNX2.  Of course this software has been discontinued.

--dennis

Offline dodgeandburn

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2020, 09:52:29 PM »
Personally, at this point, I'm only interested in using the ingest feature to rename my files. Capture One's ability to rename files when importing isn't complete. The original number in the filename is not accessible as a variable in C1 for some reason, but it is in Photo Mechanic it is. And oddly in C1 there seems to be a bug when importing a folder with XMPs - it thinks the filename is taken in some cases and adds a "1" to the end.

So, my preference would be to have a switch that ensures the ingest absolutely never creates XMPs, or at least it doesn't if I'm not applying any metadata upon import.

I would think it reasonable if PM created XMPs as needed later if operations demanded it.

Offline FFrankHB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2020, 01:08:45 PM »
I wonder if anyone requesting we remove the XMP sidecar files uses Adobe's software (Adobe doesn't embed XMP - it always creates XMP sidecar files)?  If not, what other software is being used?  XMP sidecar files are recognized by a number of other applications besides Photo Mechanic and Adobe's LR & PS.  One of the reasons we made embedding of XMP possible in the first place was to make PM compatible with Nikon's Capture NX 2 software which did not recognize XMP sidecar files - it had to be embedded to be recognized/updated by CNX2.  Of course this software has been discontinued.

--dennis

Hi, I do not use Adobe software. I mainly use Digikam for Windows and Silkypix. But keep in mind I am only a hoppyist.
Best.
F.

Offline LarsN

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2020, 06:09:17 AM »
I do not use Adobe software, but Affinity Photo (1.7.3) and DxO PhotoLab (3.1.1). Affinity Photo does not recognize XMP sidecar files, while DxoO Photolab does.

--Lars

Offline FFrankHB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2020, 01:25:05 AM »
We will be updating PM6 to embed XMP when XMP embedding is turned on.  There will be a "debug flag" that will make it possible to deny embedding XMP for Panasonic RAW files while allowing other RAW files to be modified for those people who work with multiple RAW formats, and need embedding on their other formats but cannot have their Panasonic RAW files to be modified.

-Kirk

Hi,
any news on this? I would love to have this implemented soon. Thanks.
Best.
F.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2020, 08:06:36 AM »
The next build of PM6 will embed XMP in Panasonic RAW files.  I don't have a release date for you at this time.

The current Photo Mechanic Plus beta (available on the Announcements board) has this feature enabled.

-Kirk

Offline LarsN

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2020, 03:38:01 AM »
If you start ingesting files with PM Plus, there is no going back until PM6 is updated. Due to the missing XMP file. Not so attractive.

-Lars

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2020, 07:42:15 AM »
Lars,

If you start ingesting files with PM Plus, there is no going back until PM6 is updated. Due to the missing XMP file. Not so attractive.

You can continue to use Photo Mechanic Plus until the end of March.  A new Photo Mechanic 6 should be out by then.

-Kirk