Author Topic: Keywording Issue  (Read 916 times)

Offline jmc

  • Newcomer
  • *
  • Posts: 8
    • View Profile
Keywording Issue
« on: December 24, 2019, 01:52:13 PM »
After getting one of my Aperture Libraries into PM+, I see that I have about 30k pictures that have no keywords at all.  It's not the end of the world at all, in fact most of the info I need to add these keywords is in the caption, so I have been chipping away by filtering/searching for pictures that have no keywords, then doing a search on the info in the caption, and then batch adding the proper keywords in the keywords panel.  The problem is that after I add the keywords, I refresh the contact sheet, and there are more pictures that fit the initial criteria (no keywords, but with the relevant captions).  It generally takes 6-8 cycles to clear the original search no matter how large it was in the first place.  The number of files "found" each refresh is different also, so there's no pattern there.

I know I haven't mastered the best ways of isolating pictures in PM+ yet because it is SO different from how filter/search worked in Aperture, so I guess I'm asking if this is a bug or if I am missing something I'm supposed to do.  I could make a screen recording if that would help.

Offline esambo

  • Newcomer
  • *
  • Posts: 42
    • View Profile
Re: Keywording Issue
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 02:20:33 PM »
FYI, I was able to export my Aperture library, including keywords, with the help of: http://ApertureExporter.com. But it creates XMP sidecar files, and PM is stubborn in which ones it will consider or ignore based on the associated file type.

Offline jmc

  • Newcomer
  • *
  • Posts: 8
    • View Profile
Re: Keywording Issue
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 02:25:05 PM »
these pictures apparently didn't have keywords before, and PM+ is eventually adding the keywords to all of the pictures.

Offline Kirk Baker

  • Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 21672
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Keywording Issue
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 09:05:08 AM »
After getting one of my Aperture Libraries into PM+, I see that I have about 30k pictures that have no keywords at all.  It's not the end of the world at all, in fact most of the info I need to add these keywords is in the caption, so I have been chipping away by filtering/searching for pictures that have no keywords, then doing a search on the info in the caption, and then batch adding the proper keywords in the keywords panel.  The problem is that after I add the keywords, I refresh the contact sheet, and there are more pictures that fit the initial criteria (no keywords, but with the relevant captions).  It generally takes 6-8 cycles to clear the original search no matter how large it was in the first place.  The number of files "found" each refresh is different also, so there's no pattern there.

I know I haven't mastered the best ways of isolating pictures in PM+ yet because it is SO different from how filter/search worked in Aperture, so I guess I'm asking if this is a bug or if I am missing something I'm supposed to do.  I could make a screen recording if that would help.

Yes, I'd like to see a screen recording, please.

Thanks,

-Kirk