Author Topic: Changing the location of already catalogued images  (Read 2899 times)

Offline srphoto1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Changing the location of already catalogued images
« on: January 06, 2020, 11:37:01 AM »
Let's say I have all my 2019 images on a usb drive (2019-ARCHIVE) and I've catalogued that drive in PM+. If that drive dies and I have to resort to my backup copy (2019-BACKUP), is there a way to tell PM+ that all the images it has already catalogued are now on the 2019-BACKUP drive. The folder structure and location of all the files is identical. I obviously would prefer not to have to re-catalogue 100K files.

I'm basically looking for a way to let PM+ know that the folder path to a specific image has changed from :

2019-ARCHIVE/01/20190101 JOBTITLE/image1.jpg
to:
2019-BACKUP/01/20190101 JOBTITLE/image1.jpg

Apple's Aperture had a dialog box called "Locate Referenced Files" that would allow you to browse to a new location and tell the catalog where to find a particular image. The software was then clever enough to work out where all the other images on the drive were located, based on manually pointing to the first one.

Its not only the dead drive replacement situation where this is useful. Another use case would be moving all my 2019 images from one drive to another, larger drive. I just want to be able to tell PM+ the new location to find the images that it has already catalogued.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,
Simon

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Changing the location of already catalogued images
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 12:26:27 PM »
Simon,

Let's say I have all my 2019 images on a usb drive (2019-ARCHIVE) and I've catalogued that drive in PM+. If that drive dies and I have to resort to my backup copy (2019-BACKUP), is there a way to tell PM+ that all the images it has already catalogued are now on the 2019-BACKUP drive. The folder structure and location of all the files is identical. I obviously would prefer not to have to re-catalogue 100K files.

I'm basically looking for a way to let PM+ know that the folder path to a specific image has changed from :

2019-ARCHIVE/01/20190101 JOBTITLE/image1.jpg
to:
2019-BACKUP/01/20190101 JOBTITLE/image1.jpg

Apple's Aperture had a dialog box called "Locate Referenced Files" that would allow you to browse to a new location and tell the catalog where to find a particular image. The software was then clever enough to work out where all the other images on the drive were located, based on manually pointing to the first one.

Its not only the dead drive replacement situation where this is useful. Another use case would be moving all my 2019 images from one drive to another, larger drive. I just want to be able to tell PM+ the new location to find the images that it has already catalogued.

Is there a way to do this?

No, not at this time, but we plan to add that capability.

-Kirk

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 11:03:50 PM »
I asked that and now I hope.

Bonne année
Soizic (France)
MacBook Pro M1,Ventura, PM+ à jour, deepl translator

Offline srphoto1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 02:11:50 AM »
OK, thanks Kirk. Good to know its on the way.