Author Topic: Renaming files sequentially with an issue  (Read 7047 times)

Offline akolyer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Renaming files sequentially with an issue
« on: April 12, 2007, 01:05:17 PM »
Hi all,

Is there a reason why when I want to rename files sequentially, PM adds a 01 to every one of the files. For instance, instead of "photo1.jpg" (like I want) I'm getting "photo101.jpg"? Sorry if this has been answered before, but I can't seem to find anything regarding this in the forums.

Thanks,

Alex

---------------
System Info:
Mac OS X v. 10.4.9
1.67 GHz Powerbook G4
1GB DDR SDRAM
80GB HDD
128 MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9700

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Renaming files sequentially with an issue
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 01:17:25 PM »
Alex,

Is there a reason why when I want to rename files sequentially, PM adds a 01 to every one of the files. For instance, instead of "photo1.jpg" (like I want) I'm getting "photo101.jpg"? Sorry if this has been answered before, but I can't seem to find anything regarding this in the forums.

The renaming code does this when there are collisions with existing names in the contact sheet.  There cannot be two files in the same folder with the same name (at least on most common filesystems) so PM will tack on a set of digits or letters (you can control how PM does this).

Are you certain your renaming string produces unique filenames?

-Kirk

Offline akolyer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 01:57:01 PM »
Hi Kirk,

Sorry it's taken so long to respond. Yes, I'm positive I'm naming them differently. I just attempted the process again. I had a folder containing photos numbered "photo1.jpg" through "photo17.jpg" and requested PM to change the name to "Disney Vacation 1" through "Disney Vacation 17." However, PM ended up renaming the photos to "Disney Vacation 101" through "1701."

I can't figure out why it would do that.

Thanks,

Alex

---------------
System Info:
Mac OS X v. 10.4.9
1.67 GHz Powerbook G4
1GB DDR SDRAM
80GB HDD
128 MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9700

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 06:21:38 PM »
Alex,

Sorry it's taken so long to respond. Yes, I'm positive I'm naming them differently. I just attempted the process again. I had a folder containing photos numbered "photo1.jpg" through "photo17.jpg" and requested PM to change the name to "Disney Vacation 1" through "Disney Vacation 17." However, PM ended up renaming the photos to "Disney Vacation 101" through "1701."

I can't figure out why it would do that.

Probably because you have that option set to "Always append digits (01, 02, 03)" in the Renaming resolution popup menu.  You can find this option in the Files tab of the Preferences dialog, near the bottom.

Change it to "Append digits when needed (01, 02, 03)" and it should work fine.

HTH,

-Kirk