Author Topic: PM+ not picking up colors and ratings from ON1 Photo RAW  (Read 3339 times)

Offline OldRadioGuy

• Retired broadcast journalist/educator
    • View Profile
PM+ not picking up colors and ratings from ON1 Photo RAW
« on: January 13, 2020, 08:14:54 AM »
Working in ON1 Photo RAW 2020, the user often moves between edit and browse modules, where it is handy to assign colors and/or star ratings (red, yellow, green, blue, purple, none; 1,2,3,4,5, clear ratings). Moving back to PM+, these assignments on the .ON1 sidecars are not read by Photo Mechanic Plus.

-------------
Olympus E-M1 Mark III, Olympus PEN-F

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM+ not picking up colors and ratings from ON1 Photo RAW
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 09:30:33 AM »
When you say .ON1 sidecars, are you talking about an XMP sidecar file or is there an actual .ON1 file that contains the edits (colors/ratings)?

If it is the latter, PM does not read/parse .ON1 files.  The ON1 folks should put that data in the industry-standard XMP sidecar file and not some proprietary file if they want their products to work well with other products their users use.

-Kirk

Offline OldRadioGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 11:25:21 AM »
Kirk, it appears ON1 is creating both a .ON1 sidecar and an .xmp sidecar. As a test, I copied a raw file to a new folder and with Finder verified that was the only file there.

Next, I opened the file in ON1 Photo RAW 2020, assigned a color, assigned a rating, then closed Photo RAW.

Returning to the folder with Finder, I found the two sidecar files had been added. Each contained metadata for the color and the rating.

I then opened the folder in PM+. It did not read this information.

I'm attaching the two sidecar files for your review.

Bob
-------------

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 01:49:23 PM »
Bob,

Kirk, it appears ON1 is creating both a .ON1 sidecar and an .xmp sidecar. As a test, I copied a raw file to a new folder and with Finder verified that was the only file there.

Next, I opened the file in ON1 Photo RAW 2020, assigned a color, assigned a rating, then closed Photo RAW.

Returning to the folder with Finder, I found the two sidecar files had been added. Each contained metadata for the color and the rating.

I then opened the folder in PM+. It did not read this information.

I'm attaching the two sidecar files for your review.

Do you have PM+ set to rescan on resume (Preferences->Contact Sheet: "Rescan on resume" checkbox) ?
Ratings should just work.  Color labels will only transfer if you have a matching label name set in your Color Class labels in Preferences->General.

-Kirk

Offline OldRadioGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 03:06:58 PM »
The rescan on resume was checked. I changed the colors and names in PM+ to match those in ON1, and both colors and ratings appeared.

Now, all is well!

Thanks to you and the team for the versatility of this application.

Bob
-------------