Photo Mechanic Plus > Support

What does <none> mean in the browse and filter tools?

(1/3) > >>

Odd Skjaeveland:
I should probably apologize for not being a very active user of the PM+ public betas, but I hope to improve a bit.

The other day I installed PM+ on my Windows 10 laptop and copied a folder from a Capture One session containing approximately a thousand images from a recent trip to Manila. I did ingest the images to the C1 session using PM6, but had not yet done any metadata work after ingest. I had PM+ create a new database and scan the copy of the C1 session's Capture folder where source image files live in dated sub folders.

Now, the term "<none>" seen in the Filter/Browse tool confuses me. I would expect it to mean "not set", "not defined", "empty" or similar akin to SQL NULL or perhaps the empty string "". My expectation is likely wrong, PM+ (build 4155) browser says 297 of 1030 images fit (IPTC) Headline <none>. The Headline field does indeed have text in quite a few of those 297 images, and PM+ shows the existing text. Granted, some of the 297 images have no text in the Headline field, I would expect those images to be alone in the set of Headline <none>. The image files are DNGs and JPGs, all metadata (excluding those added by the cameras) are added using PM6 at ingest time or later using PM+. Selecting one of the other items in the list of Browse (or Filter) alternatives appears to work as I would expect. Same when selecting multiple items.

The topic http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=13035.0 does not shed the light I obviously need. At this time, I do not understand "<none>".

I reindexed the database, reticked Search and Add/Modify, and I restarted PM+ (I have clear cache on Exit enabled). I attach two screen dumps that hopefully show what confuses me.

Odd Skjaeveland:
I guess the answer is that I first need to use Catalog -> Scan to Catalog... whenever I want to use the browse/filter tools, PM+ does not keep the database in sync with changes PM+ makes to metadata. I probably knew, or at least should have known.

Kirk Baker:

--- Quote from: Odd Skjaeveland on January 19, 2020, 12:18:10 PM ---I guess the answer is that I first need to use Catalog -> Scan to Catalog... whenever I want to use the browse/filter tools, PM+ does not keep the database in sync with changes PM+ makes to metadata. I probably knew, or at least should have known.

--- End quote ---

If an image isn't in any catalog then metadata changes are not tracked (because they're not in a catalog).  You must add new images to your catalog(s) and then changes will be kept up-to-date.

-Kirk

Odd Skjaeveland:

--- Quote from: Kirk Baker on January 19, 2020, 05:11:36 PM ---If an image isn't in any catalog then metadata changes are not tracked (because they're not in a catalog).  You must add new images to your catalog(s) and then changes will be kept up-to-date.

--- End quote ---

Obviously. Until now I have been under the impression that the initial Scan to Catalog did that for me. Not a single image was added after the initial scan.

I also believed the green dot indicated "in catalog".

Further, I believed images accessible via PM+ Organizer-> Browser (or Filter) are in the catalog.

I never tried to use PM+ Organizer Browse (or Filter) to access images that I know are not in a catalog. Your comment indicates that my attached screenshots somehow show images not in the catalog. I'll try to find out how I managed to do that.

Hmm, I need to start from scratch and relearn the few things I optimistically thought I understood :)

Sorry for the trouble.

Kirk Baker:

--- Quote from: Odd Skjaeveland on January 19, 2020, 09:17:48 PM ---
--- Quote from: Kirk Baker on January 19, 2020, 05:11:36 PM ---If an image isn't in any catalog then metadata changes are not tracked (because they're not in a catalog).  You must add new images to your catalog(s) and then changes will be kept up-to-date.

--- End quote ---

Obviously. Until now I have been under the impression that the initial Scan to Catalog did that for me. Not a single image was added after the initial scan.

I also believed the green dot indicated "in catalog".

Further, I believed images accessible via PM+ Organizer-> Browser (or Filter) are in the catalog.

I never tried to use PM+ Organizer Browse (or Filter) to access images that I know are not in a catalog. Your comment indicates that my attached screenshots somehow show images not in the catalog. I'll try to find out how I managed to do that.

Hmm, I need to start from scratch and relearn the few things I optimistically thought I understood :)

Sorry for the trouble.

--- End quote ---

I'm a bit confused then.  Were the images that had metadata in the fields you described earlier actually in one of the active catalog(s) at the time you changed the metadata?

It's beginning to sound like a bug to me.  Can you describe a set of steps that reproduces the problem, please?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version