Author Topic: Thumbnail files should be permanent  (Read 6823 times)

Offline TonyField

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Thumbnail files should be permanent
« on: April 11, 2007, 02:48:19 PM »
It would be useful to have the thumbnail cash optionally written into the directory that contains the contact sheet files.  This would speed up various browsing processes.  For example, if you have a DVD with images, the recorded thumbnail cash would be instantly available for viewing rather than being built when needed.

In effect, the operation would be much like the thumbs.db file maintained by windows.  It would have similar virtues to the two files written by adobe bridge.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Thumbnail files should be permanent
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 02:52:41 PM »
It would be useful to have the thumbnail cash optionally written into the directory that contains the contact sheet files.  This would speed up various browsing processes.  For example, if you have a DVD with images, the recorded thumbnail cash would be instantly available for viewing rather than being built when needed.

In effect, the operation would be much like the thumbs.db file maintained by windows.  It would have similar virtues to the two files written by adobe bridge.

If we had to read the thumbnails off of the DVD, the performance wouldn't be a whole lot better.

What are these "two files written by adobe bridge"?

-Kirk

Offline TonyField

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 03:13:45 PM »
Adobe bridge creates "Adobe Bridge Cache.bc" and "Adobe Bridge Cache.bct" - which can be assigned to a global thumbnail file or can reside in the directory containing the images.   If you have multiple directories (for example, I just shot six theatre productions and each production is in it's own directory), bridge can walk all of the sub-directories and create the appropriate .bc and .bct files in each directory.

Presently, before I create by backup DVDs I run Adobe Bridge to create these thumbnail files.  After they are backed up to DVD, the access speed is quite excellent.

Offline gregoire

• View Profile
    • www.emilegregoire.com
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 03:07:24 AM »
I'm fine with such a feature as long as I can turn it off...

One of the things I like a lot about PM is that it doesn't put thumbnail caches all over the place. I've got iView to cache all thumbnails and provide a good catalog, while PM is for quick ingestion, selection and metadata editing: a onetime process without a real need to revisit the same folder over and over again and hence no need for thumbnail caches.

Doesn't mean it ain't a nice feature, but please make it optional!

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 04:08:31 PM »
I agree - I seem to have loads of disc space taken up with thumbnail caches from various raw converters and once I've finished a job I don't need these lying around, and so I certainly don't need more from PM.  One cataloging app. (iView for me) is enough for thumbnails.