Author Topic: Apple-W not working on first try  (Read 5093 times)

Offline smorgan42

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Apple-W not working on first try
« on: April 12, 2007, 02:57:27 PM »
When I am looking at a preview window inside a contact sheet and I select Apple-W to close it, it doesn't take on the first try. I have to hit it again in order for the window to close and go back to the contact sheet. Any thoughts?

Also, applying stars and tagging/untagging to multiple pictures brings up a time window and seems to take much longer than in previous versions. I think this has been brought up before, but I just wanted to say I'm experiencing the issue too.

Running 4.5 on a Macbook 2 ghz w/ 1gz ram and OS 10.4.8

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Apple-W not working on first try
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 03:09:37 PM »
When I am looking at a preview window inside a contact sheet and I select Apple-W to close it, it doesn't take on the first try. I have to hit it again in order for the window to close and go back to the contact sheet. Any thoughts?

It closes on first try for me.  How about looking at the File menu to see if somehow the Close Window item is disabled?  Also, Esc will close the window.

Quote from: smorgan42
Also, applying stars and tagging/untagging to multiple pictures brings up a time window and seems to take much longer than in previous versions. I think this has been brought up before, but I just wanted to say I'm experiencing the issue too.

As compared to what previous version?  For quite some time now when you have three or more images selected, it causes the tagging/rating/color class to be performed on a thread with a progress dialog.

-Kirk

Offline smorgan42

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 05:36:15 PM »
I've tested it a little more to figure out when the Apple-W doesn't work well. It seems to happen most often when I have more than one contact sheet up in tabbed windows. I'll hit Apple-W and nothing will happen or I'll get the error chime (the one that you get when the key press isn't registering). If I hit it again, the window will close. It seems that it's only the first time I try it with the open windows. It will work normally from then on until I close those contact sheets and open new ones. So it's not life or death, just annoying.

As for the time window coming up and working slowly, I was using 4.4.3.3. I still have it on my system, so I tried tagging 10 photos from each version. The time dailog box only comes up in the new one (briefly for 5 pics, more time for 10, but not bad). It doesn't come up at all in the old version. It may be my imagination, but it seems faster in the old version.

Offline waltoncr

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 08:59:17 PM »
I have to say this has been the most troublesome bug of 4.5/4.5.1 It is very repeatable:

Begin by opening several folders (the error only occurs when tabs are open), then command-A, command-R, right arrow key a couple of times.

Now type command-w to close the window. The window will not close and there is an error beep. Command-w a second time will close the window but now if you type commmand w again the whole browser window will close rather than a single tab as should be the case.

Interestingly if I repeat the begining steps and then click on the file menu, not selecting anything in the file menu mind you, just click on it so the file menu appears, then command-w will close the windows correctly.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 11:08:03 PM »
I have to say this has been the most troublesome bug of 4.5/4.5.1 It is very repeatable:

Begin by opening several folders (the error only occurs when tabs are open), then command-A, command-R, right arrow key a couple of times.

Now type command-w to close the window. The window will not close and there is an error beep. Command-w a second time will close the window but now if you type commmand w again the whole browser window will close rather than a single tab as should be the case.

Interestingly if I repeat the begining steps and then click on the file menu, not selecting anything in the file menu mind you, just click on it so the file menu appears, then command-w will close the windows correctly.

I'm sorry this one slipped through the cracks.  As a workaround, use the Esc key instead.  It will close the Preview window and does not require holding down any qualifier keys.  It is far easier to type and less error-prone (Command-Q is easily typed instead of Command-W).

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 12:29:28 AM »

I'm sorry this one slipped through the cracks.  As a workaround, use the Esc key instead.  It will close the Preview window and does not require holding down any qualifier keys.  It is far easier to type and less error-prone (Command-Q is easily typed instead of Command-W).

This one should now be fixed in PM 4.5.1.1.  I still recommend using the Esc key instead however.

-Kirk