Author Topic: Background & Foreground Operations  (Read 1369 times)

Offline ekoorb07

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Background & Foreground Operations
« on: January 26, 2020, 06:18:16 PM »
I've been re-organizing my image archive across numerous hard-drives/ computers... long story short, I didn't start my photographer-journey very organized and now feeling the consequences! There's a few things I'm attempting to do simultaneously as I re-organize and consolidate:

Rename files
Apply (new/updated) IPTC Metadata
Copy/Move files into new locations

I've figured out how to do that all in one go and now looking for ways to maximize my time. I then noticed something interesting: Why is PM able to do these 3 powerful things upon ingesting a new SD card as a background operation, freeing me up to browse files/ tag/ etc. but when I want to do these things to existing batches of files on my hard drive, the command becomes a foreground operation - one that prevents me from doing anything else? I cannot browse other folders/ do anything else like I would be able to do if I were ingesting a new SD card.

Are there any settings I could change or suggestions you have? (other than... you should have been organized from the start)  8) ;) 8)

Running PM 6 on Windows 10 Intel 7/64bit

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Background & Foreground Operations
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 08:27:59 PM »
You can Ingest from Selection in PM6 and it can rename and apply metadata template information in the background.  I suggest that you use it.

-Kirk

Offline ekoorb07

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Background & Foreground Operations
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 12:12:18 PM »
Works like a charm. Thank you!  8)