Author Topic: Renaming - does PM support math and can camera actuations be zero padded  (Read 4019 times)

Offline IanL

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I am currently evaluating PM. I made the switch from Lightroom to Capture One and lost the ability to use the renaming that I liked: <date:yyyy-mm-dd> <sequence> <original file name>.nef.

I know I can do that with PM - with:
{year4}-{month0}-{day0} {sequence} {filenamebase}

Will {sequence} continue with each ingest or will I have to manually set the start point before each ingest session?

However I just got a new camera and was considering using the accusations instead:
{year4}-{month0}-{day0} {actuations} {filenamebase}

Is it possible to zero padd {actuations}? Right now the single digit numbers are looking a bit sad.

Better yet can I do math and add to the actuations? Say something like {64123 + actuations}. The number would start from where the last camera sequence left off.

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Renaming - does PM support math and can camera actuations be zero padded
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 09:07:59 AM »
Ian,

I am currently evaluating PM. I made the switch from Lightroom to Capture One and lost the ability to use the renaming that I liked: <date:yyyy-mm-dd> <sequence> <original file name>.nef.

I know I can do that with PM - with:
{year4}-{month0}-{day0} {sequence} {filenamebase}

Will {sequence} continue with each ingest or will I have to manually set the start point before each ingest session?

It will continue to advance until you manually reset it or it wraps around to zero.

However I just got a new camera and was considering using the accusations instead:
{year4}-{month0}-{day0} {actuations} {filenamebase}

Is it possible to zero padd {actuations}? Right now the single digit numbers are looking a bit sad.

Better yet can I do math and add to the actuations? Say something like {64123 + actuations}. The number would start from where the last camera sequence left off.

No, we don't offer the ability to process mathematical expressions inside of variables.

Also, not all cameras provide the information for {actuations} to work.

-Kirk

Offline IanL

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 11:09:20 AM »
Thanks for the answers @Kirk. Yes, adding math expressions would open you up to having to handle a lot of corner cases: What does it mean to add 64123 to NaN in the context of Photomechanic and what do you do with divide by zero. I thought I would check.

I got a bit excited finding the actuations property. I ran for many many years using LR's sequence value. I will probably be just as happy with PM's since it sounds like it works the same way.

<snip> or it wraps around to zero.<snip>

How big can that number get before it wraps? 16 bit int, 32 bit int?

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 11:15:14 AM »
<snip> or it wraps around to zero.<snip>

How big can that number get before it wraps? 16 bit int, 32 bit int?

Depends entirely on how you set it up.  000 would wrap at 999.  0000 would wrap at 9999.  And so on.  It uses unsigned 32-bit math so if you give it enough leading digits you can have over 4 billion increments before wrapping.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline IanL

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 02:06:12 PM »
Ah I just glanced at a tutorial and didn't get that you set how many numbers before rollover by the way you set the first number. I see from http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php/Ingesting_Images and what you said above. Thanks

4 billion - sweet! I don't think I'll make it to that high a number :D