Author Topic: Can Photo Mechanic read and embed .xmp data exported from Apple Photos?  (Read 2134 times)

Offline peinarsen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I want to export a batch of original images with .xmp files (various formats - JPEG, TIFF, HEIF, RAW) from my Apple Photos Library and open the pairs (original + .xmp) in something that can embed the keywords in the file itself for external use. Can Photo Mechanic do that? I'm still in the evaluation stage.  Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Can Photo Mechanic read and embed .xmp data exported from Apple Photos?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 10:26:59 AM »
I want to export a batch of original images with .xmp files (various formats - JPEG, TIFF, HEIF, RAW) from my Apple Photos Library and open the pairs (original + .xmp) in something that can embed the keywords in the file itself for external use. Can Photo Mechanic do that? I'm still in the evaluation stage.  Thanks.

Photo Mechanic will ignore XMP sidecar files for JPEG, TIFF, and HEIF (HEIC).  It will use XMP sidecar files on RAW formats other than DNG.  The reason PM ignores the ones I've listed is because XMP metadata is supposed to be embedded on those formats.  JPEG, TIFF, HEIF (HEIC), and DNG are all expected to have embedded metadata and their file formats allow for embedding according to their standards.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Can Photo Mechanic read and embed .xmp data exported from Apple Photos?
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 11:19:54 AM »
@Kirk just a note: While HEIF can (do) indeed contain embedded metadata, e.g. Adobe Camera Raw writes everything to a .xmp sidecar file so I think it would be better to not ignore the .xmp for HEIF files.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl