Author Topic: First impressions on B14  (Read 4740 times)

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
First impressions on B14
« on: February 02, 2020, 06:04:34 AM »
Hi,
Big compliment to all PM team for the long-awaited-for feature of pairing raw+jpeg and the filtering by color and rating of a catalog-based contact sheet. Congratulations!
Now I only miss the ability to sort a catalog-based contact sheet the way I do with a "normal" contact sheet. I hope this feature will come in the long run.
Unfortunately I have noticed that PM+ has crashed a number of times when filtering by color or star rating. That is still very unstable.
Best regards,
- Luiz Muzzi

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: First impressions on B14
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 01:13:21 PM »
Luiz,

Big compliment to all PM team for the long-awaited-for feature of pairing raw+jpeg and the filtering by color and rating of a catalog-based contact sheet. Congratulations!
Now I only miss the ability to sort a catalog-based contact sheet the way I do with a "normal" contact sheet. I hope this feature will come in the long run.
Unfortunately I have noticed that PM+ has crashed a number of times when filtering by color or star rating. That is still very unstable.

When the crash reporter appears, please file the report and provide a description.  It really does help.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 04:53:06 AM »
OK. I'll do it.
Regards,
-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 12:57:28 PM »
Thanks for filing the crash reports, Luiz.  (and the rest of you that have filed them!)

Here are some new builds (they won't stop the crashing but have some noisy logging in them to help me find the cause):

macOS:
https://www.camerabits.com/download/PhotoMechanicPlusR4272_b1fe6367.dmg

Windows:
https://www.camerabits.com/download/PMPlusSetupR4272_b1fe6367.msi

Could you all please try and reproduce the crashes you've been experiencing during searches and post your logs here?  In Photo Mechanic Plus go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Finder/Windows Explorer window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 02:17:22 PM »
For those of you that are experiencing crashes, do all searches crash?  Or only some searches?  Do you have any contact sheets open that are folder-based?  Do they share any of the same images that are in your search results?

Any details that you can think of that will help us reproduce and fix the problem will be most welcome.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 08:24:22 PM »
OK, everyone:

I think I have found and fixed the stability problem.  It only affected the macOS version.

Please download and give this version a try:

https://www.camerabits.com/download/PhotoMechanicPlusR4274_881f5378.dmg

If it crashes, then please do file a crash report when the PM crash reporter appears.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 03:57:01 AM »
Hi,
Sending log file (before today's beta).
Regards,
- Luiz Muzzi

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2020, 10:41:13 AM »
OK, everyone:

I think I have found and fixed the stability problem.  It only affected the macOS version.

Please download and give this version a try:

https://www.camerabits.com/download/PhotoMechanicPlusR4274_881f5378.dmg

If it crashes, then please do file a crash report when the PM crash reporter appears.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Hi, Kirk
It appears to have solved the stability problem.
Thanks a lot.
Regards,
-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2020, 01:24:14 PM »
Thank you, Luiz.  I will release a more official build soon.

-Kirk

Offline carlseibert

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2020, 03:32:24 PM »
Yes indeedie. That appears to have fixed the problem.

Well, the scrolling problem. Now I have the mostly-my-wife's-machine-with-its-better-network-card being a zillion times faster than my machine problem. But I don't think you can fix that one :-)

Offline dennislinden

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2020, 03:33:17 PM »
Well, well, well, indeed, this is looking very promising.
A couple of months ago, I downloaded a beta and experimented, but kind of gave up. With this build, i've re-built a 40,000 image catalog and have begun to play. So far, speed is impressive on the WIN platform. As I perform my tasks and crash the system or experience slow downs, I'll be sure to report.
Compared to another nameless DAM, this thing is FAAAAST. Browsing for a xxmm lens image (for example) pulls up the images in just a few heartbeats... Lovely. One thing I would like to understand is when I find an error in my EXIF data, what's the best way to fix and write it back to the original file.

EG: I found some imported images from a scanner with Serial Number xxx which xxx is nonsensical - If  I  erase the data in that field, i am unclear the file is updated, and the database does not reflect the new information, ie the browsed xxx number still appears. i was looking for a synopsis of HOW it's supposed to work, but can't seem to put my eyes on one.. help?