Author Topic: Scrolling network share crashes PM+  (Read 2169 times)

Offline carlseibert

• View Profile
Scrolling network share crashes PM+
« on: February 05, 2020, 11:23:13 AM »
Hi,

I don't know why I haven't seen this before. I can't say whether it's new or I just never noticed.

If scrolling a large return from files on a network share (the catalog lives on the local machine) scrolling can cause a crash.

This only happens when the network share is connected. If it's offline, no bad behavior.

It appears that the trigger is scrolling beyond the point where thumbnails appear as numbers, rather than showing filenames and metadata on their slide mounts. The first couple screens are OK. Once I see metadata-less thumbnails, if I wait until I see metadata, I can scroll some more.

Scrolling with the scroll bar behaves a little differently. Wherever I stop the scroll, Photo Mechanic will start drawing thumbnails and only if I scroll quickly from that point will I see a crash.

If I execute a search ("" to return about 3,000 images) and simply wait a pretty long while, without attempting to scroll down, things work OK. I haven't tried to work out exactly how long it takes before scrolling doesn't cause a crash, but 8 1/2 minutes (the amount of time necessary to read an investigative story on a local environmental issue) did the trick.

I can't reproduce this with images on my local drive, either internal or USB external.

I couldn't reproduce this in navigator mode - only in catalog mode. (I tried both PM and PM+)

I could, however, cause occasional crashes if I dragged a folder on the same network share from a Finder window to the PM icon in the dock. (Maybe one crash every four or five tries. Same results with PM and PM+)

Photo Mechanic Plus Version 6.0, build 4257 (8daf8ba) on an OS 10.12.6 MBP The network share is SMB, served by Samba from a Linux box.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Scrolling network share crashes PM+
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 12:54:23 PM »
Carl,

Please try the build referenced in this post: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=13117.msg64484#msg64484

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline carlseibert

• View Profile
Re: Scrolling network share crashes PM+
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 03:24:11 PM »
OK. Meanwhile, I tried to reproduce the issue on our new Windows machine and couldn't.

I'll let you know how the new build works on the Mac.

-Carl