Author Topic: Best way to ingest Leica M8.2 images into the Adobe DNG format for editing?  (Read 3224 times)

Offline mikemyers

• Have Camera, Will Travel
    • View Profile
    • Smugmug Gallery
The system suggested I start a new topic for this, so here goes.

I'm shooting with a Leica M8.2 camera, and using PhotoMechanic 6 to copy the photos from my SD memory card in my iMac to a folder I created on my system.  I want to use Adobe's DNG converter, and while my accidental attempt resulted in it converting the photos on the SD card, at least it sort of worked.

I would normally ingest the photos from the SD card into the new folder I've created. 

I would like to use Adobe's DNG converter to replace the Leica DNG files with Adobe's version, containing a preview image.
Then I would delete images until I was only left with the good images, with would be imported into Lightroom.

If I use the DNG converter after having ingested the photos with PhotoMechanic, I end up with double images.  It worked, but I doubt that's the right way to do it.

What is the simplest, easiest, preferably fastest way to get my Leica DNG images on the SD card into the new DNG format, such that I can edit with PhotoMechanic as I used to do?
Mike Myers
m.smugmug.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Mike,

The system suggested I start a new topic for this, so here goes.

I'm shooting with a Leica M8.2 camera, and using PhotoMechanic 6 to copy the photos from my SD memory card in my iMac to a folder I created on my system.  I want to use Adobe's DNG converter, and while my accidental attempt resulted in it converting the photos on the SD card, at least it sort of worked.

I would normally ingest the photos from the SD card into the new folder I've created. 

I would like to use Adobe's DNG converter to replace the Leica DNG files with Adobe's version, containing a preview image.
Then I would delete images until I was only left with the good images, with would be imported into Lightroom.

If I use the DNG converter after having ingested the photos with PhotoMechanic, I end up with double images.  It worked, but I doubt that's the right way to do it.

You ended up with double DNG files?  Do you have the original Leica DNGs and the converted DNGs?

What is the simplest, easiest, preferably fastest way to get my Leica DNG images on the SD card into the new DNG format, such that I can edit with PhotoMechanic as I used to do?

I'd suggest using the DNG Converter with the images on the card but make the destination folder be the place on your hard drive that you want the updated DNGs to reside.  Skip Ingest altogether.  Then you can do your normal tasks with PM (adding metadata, culling, cropping, etc.) and finally import into Lightroom.

-Kirk

Offline mikemyers

• Have Camera, Will Travel
    • View Profile
    • Smugmug Gallery
Yes, I ended up with double DNG files.  The originals got deleted when I deleted images I hadn't "tagged".

I thought in a previous discussion I could use the DNG converter as part of my PhotoMechanic process??

Sure, I can use DNG Converter to save the converted images in a folder where I will use PM.  I can try that next time.  Even the way I'm doing it now is no big deal, as the original DNGs get deleted along with any of the new DNGs that I don't want to keep. 

Unless I can get DNG Converter to run from within PM, I think I'll keep on doing it the way I just did it.  It sounds very "logical".  It's going to get a lot of use I think - all my other cameras are gathering dust, and I've been doing everything with my M8.2 Leica.  My workflow is to do that, then   when the folder is down to just my better images (all now with Adobe DNG files), then import everything into Lightroom, and from there quite likely to Nik Collection. 
Mike Myers
m.smugmug.com