Author Topic: Errors writing metadata to bulk images  (Read 3056 times)

Offline bazography

• View Profile
Errors writing metadata to bulk images
« on: February 06, 2020, 05:07:23 PM »
build 4257 (8daf8ba)
macOS 10.14.6

When using the IPTC Stationary Pad to apply metadata to a group of images, I started getting error messages like in the screenshot. At first I assumed I had corrupted images, so I tried writing to just a few images at a time so I could narrow it down to the bad images. Except I was able to finish all the images without another error. I then tried writing metadata to the whole batch again but this time there was no error.

This happened dozens of times with nearly every folder I tried... applying metadata to the whole folder of images caused an error, but breaking it up into smaller batches allowed me to finish all the images successfully. I’ve had the error with batches of several hundred or as few as 20, and it doesn’t matter if the drives are local or networked. My folders usually contain all TIF or all JPG etc, so it doesn't seem to be targeting specific file formats either.

In some cases I could do what I needed to do with Find & Replace instead, which didn't cause any errors. It seems to only involve the Stationary Pad.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Errors writing metadata to bulk images
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 10:02:00 PM »
I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic log.  In Photo Mechanic go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Finder window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 11:03:59 AM »
Hi, Kirk
It also happened to me, several times. If you continue, if you try again, it allows you to change all the files (but you need to redo it several times). It seems PM does that when there are many files at the same time (more than a certain amount)...
Regards,
- Luiz Muzzi

P.S. I 'll try to send the log as well.

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 11:18:37 PM »
It also happened to me
Soizic (France)
MacBook Pro M1,Ventura, PM+ à jour, deepl translator

Offline bazography

• View Profile