Author Topic: DNG previews don't update  (Read 3630 times)

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
DNG previews don't update
« on: April 30, 2020, 08:44:27 AM »
I don't use DNGs much so I may be wrong but my expectation is that PM can read the embedded JPEG and therefore show changes made by Lightroom. So yes, I can make a DNG from my raw file and see the colour edits I'd made to the original raw when viewing in PM. But if I then go on to make further edits to the DNG I don't see those changed reflected in PM. Which I expected they would. Either the DNG's preview JPEG isn't being updated or PM isn't reading the latest version.

Thanks for any advice.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: DNG previews don't update
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 09:04:26 AM »
David,

I don't use DNGs much so I may be wrong but my expectation is that PM can read the embedded JPEG and therefore show changes made by Lightroom. So yes, I can make a DNG from my raw file and see the colour edits I'd made to the original raw when viewing in PM. But if I then go on to make further edits to the DNG I don't see those changed reflected in PM. Which I expected they would. Either the DNG's preview JPEG isn't being updated or PM isn't reading the latest version.

Sounds like the DNG isn't being updated.  Check to see if its modification date has changed.

-Kirk

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 10:09:04 AM »
Sounds like the DNG isn't being updated.  Check to see if its modification date has changed.

It is. And I see the preview 'flash' in PM as it updates. PM will see if I rotate the DNG in LR or add a crop, but not if I change the white balance, for example.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 10:40:38 AM »
David,

It is. And I see the preview 'flash' in PM as it updates. PM will see if I rotate the DNG in LR or add a crop, but not if I change the white balance, for example.

OK, try selecting the DNG and use the "Extract JPEG Previews from RAW photos..." command on the Tools menu.  View the extracted JPEG.  Does it have your adjustments?

-Kirk

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 12:00:07 AM »
OK, try selecting the DNG and use the "Extract JPEG Previews from RAW photos..." command on the Tools menu.  View the extracted JPEG.  Does it have your adjustments?

No, it doesn't. The JPEG is as I'm seeing it in PM, not LR. I guess you'll now say LR isn't updating the JPEG Preview. I'll go and fight Adobe for a bit and see if I can find further clues.

Thanks!

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2020, 01:22:40 AM »
The answer is to use Lightroom's "Update DNG Preview and Metadata" (from the Metadata menu. My assumption was that LR would automatically update the preview - especially as I have the Preferences set to automatically update XMP. Unless I find out otherwise, it needs to be done manually and then PM sees the up-to-date preview as expected.

Don't we all love Adobe  ;D

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2020, 02:21:47 AM »
The answer is to use Lightroom's "Update DNG Preview and Metadata" (from the Metadata menu. My assumption was that LR would automatically update the preview - especially as I have the Preferences set to automatically update XMP. Unless I find out otherwise, it needs to be done manually and then PM sees the up-to-date preview as expected.

Don't we all love Adobe  ;D

Yeah, that's one of my many gripes with LR. I much prefer Camera Raw, which does update the previews automatically (when you ask it to via a preference).
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl