Author Topic: Ingest with a Canon 1DX Mark III  (Read 11019 times)

Offline Riton

• View Profile
Ingest with a Canon 1DX Mark III
« on: February 07, 2020, 01:02:28 PM »
I tested today the new Canon 1DX Mark III and when I tried to ingest the JPG pictures (and not the HEIC or CR3 raw, the other format available on this camera) I shot with it, I had the bad surprise to notice that PM 6 couldn't ingest on my MacBook Pro.

The only solution I find was to ingest with Photos the Mac soft and afterwards I copy them to PM6 who was able to read the pictures and send them via FTP !!!!!!

Is there going to be an upgrade soon to PM6 to resolve this problem of ingesting from this new Canon camera ??????

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Ingest with a Canon 1DX Mark III
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 02:22:08 PM »
I tested today the new Canon 1DX Mark III and when I tried to ingest the JPG pictures (and not the HEIC or CR3 raw, the other format available on this camera) I shot with it, I had the bad surprise to notice that PM 6 couldn't ingest on my MacBook Pro.

The only solution I find was to ingest with Photos the Mac soft and afterwards I copy them to PM6 who was able to read the pictures and send them via FTP !!!!!!

Is there going to be an upgrade soon to PM6 to resolve this problem of ingesting from this new Canon camera ??????

Yes.  We now have a camera on loan for testing and development.

-Kirk

Offline Riton

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 12:15:13 AM »
Thanks Kirk for the reply. Waiting for the upgrade..........and using the Photos workaround in the meantime !!! One detail : as the specific card reader is not available yet, I download the pix directly from the camera with an USB-C Cable. Photos sees the card inside the camera but not PM6.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 01:55:38 PM »
Thanks Kirk for the reply. Waiting for the upgrade..........and using the Photos workaround in the meantime !!! One detail : as the specific card reader is not available yet, I download the pix directly from the camera with an USB-C Cable. Photos sees the card inside the camera but not PM6.

PM does not see devices.  It sees disks.  If there is a mode in the camera to make it act like a mass storage device then PM will work with it.

-Kirk

Offline Riton

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 08:35:39 AM »
Kirk, a card (CF Express in the Mark III) is not close to a disk ?????? It stores data in the form of pictures. What I don't understand is why Photos the Apple soft dedicated for cataloging pictures see the card and can upload from the card and why PM can't ??????

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 09:14:32 AM »
Kirk, a card (CF Express in the Mark III) is not close to a disk ?????? It stores data in the form of pictures. What I don't understand is why Photos the Apple soft dedicated for cataloging pictures see the card and can upload from the card and why PM can't ??????

Because PM doesn't "talk directly to cameras" and Apple's Photos app does.

A CF Express card reader will allow PM to read the photos (and videos) from your card.  It will also likely be much faster than the camera is at providing the data to the Apple Photos app.

-Kirk

Offline Odd Skjaeveland

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 10:20:17 PM »
a card (CF Express in the Mark III) is not close to a disk ??????

Right, a memory card is not a disk, but a memory card in a USB card reader is. Perhaps not to you, but to the computer where PM lives, which is what counts here :) The card reader lets the computer use its disk software to access the memory card.

Some cameras can switch between a "disk mode" and a "media mode", some can not. If your camera gives you that option, you should try it, look for USB Mass Storage or some such the camera menus.

The wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol may shed some light on the "media mode"
--
Odd S.

Offline Riton

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 12:00:43 AM »

A CF Express card reader will allow PM to read the photos (and videos) from your card.  It will also likely be much faster than the camera is at providing the data to the Apple Photos app.

-Kirk

The problem is that the card reader is not available right now. Only a cable is available..............The Mark III is a pre-production one......Will PM be able to "talk to the cameras" in the near future  just like Photos ?????? Thanks for your efforts Kirk.

Offline Dub

• View Profile
    • instantsphotos
French and "English" with DeepL ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
MPB 13" M1 / Monterey
https://instantsphotos.fr/

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 09:16:42 AM »

-Kirk

The problem is that the card reader is not available right now. Only a cable is available..............The Mark III is a pre-production one......Will PM be able to "talk to the cameras" in the near future  just like Photos ?????? Thanks for your efforts Kirk.

No, we have no plans for making PM directly talk with cameras at this time.

There are several CFExpress card readers on the market right now.

-Kirk

Offline PaulW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Paul Walsh Photography
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2020, 02:31:06 PM »
I've a production model of the camera.

Using a USB cable, I can ingest from the Sandisk CFExpress card reader without issue.

But, connecting the camera directly with a USB cable, PM doesn't see it.  But, I can use Canon's EOS Utility, I can download the images, and then read them with PM.

Also, now selecting the Canon HEIF format, .HIF files, PM can't read those. I have to use Canon's DPP to read them, to export to jpg.

Offline Riton

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2020, 11:33:21 PM »
I've a production model of the camera.

Also, now selecting the Canon HEIF format, .HIF files, PM can't read those. I have to use Canon's DPP to read them, to export to jpg.

You can also convert HEIF to JPEG directly on the card in the camera, upload via EOS Utility or Photos and then PM will read the JPEG. Lets hope PM will be able soon to read the HEIF without this workaround !!!!!!!!!!

Offline PaulW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Paul Walsh Photography
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2020, 11:38:05 AM »
I'll continue to shoot jpg until PM supports the HEIF files.  Then I'll switch over.

All about the speed when shooting sports.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2020, 12:12:41 PM »
I'll continue to shoot jpg until PM supports the HEIF files.  Then I'll switch over.

All about the speed when shooting sports.

I can tell you that HEIF files are much slower to load than JPEGs.  They do save size on the card, but until HEIF has been around for a while and some enterprising developers write a fully optimized H.265 library, they'll be slower to load than JPEGs.  HEIF images may always be slower even after optimization of the H.265 decoder.

-Kirk

Offline PaulW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Paul Walsh Photography
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2020, 03:40:20 PM »
HEIF images may always be slower even after optimization of the H.265 decoder.

Well, raw files are fine loading in PM, and I hope that the HEIF files would be as fast as those.

I've faith that you can continue to do a fabulous job with PM, and make the most of the new HEIF format, since I can see more cameras use it in the coming year, especially now that Canon has rolled it out to their flagship.