Author Topic: 4.5 So slow....  (Read 10569 times)

Offline Eric

• View Profile
4.5 So slow....
« on: April 12, 2007, 09:40:29 AM »
Kirk,
 I'm not sure what PM is doing in the background but an edit that would take 20 minute is now taking double to triple that amount of time. Every 4th or 5th image PM takes a pause, then allows me to continue to tag images. These pauses are driving me nuts. Is there a way to change what or how much PM is doing in the background? If not how can I go back to the previous version?

Win XP pro, P4@3.6, 3GB RAM

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: 4.5 So slow....
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 10:21:35 AM »
Kirk,
 I'm not sure what PM is doing in the background but an edit that would take 20 minute is now taking double to triple that amount of time. Every 4th or 5th image PM takes a pause, then allows me to continue to tag images. These pauses are driving me nuts. Is there a way to change what or how much PM is doing in the background? If not how can I go back to the previous version?

Win XP pro, P4@3.6, 3GB RAM

Where are you tagging?  The Contact Sheet or Preview?

You can uninstall 4.5 and reinstall 4.4.3.3 anytime you like.

-Kirk

Offline Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 10:33:34 AM »
In Preview

Offline Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 11:01:25 AM »
Kirk,
I tried to go back to 4.4.3.3 but got a scripting engine error. I tried to looking it up here but couldn't find anything.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 11:57:07 AM »
Kirk,
I tried to go back to 4.4.3.3 but got a scripting engine error. I tried to looking it up here but couldn't find anything.

You need to uninstall first.  Then reinstall 4.4.3.3...

-Kirk

Offline Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 12:44:37 PM »
O.K. Kirk, thanks. Now back to the problem at hand. I am color classing images in preview. I can advance a few images at a time and then the program will just hang for 30 seconds or so. I've opened the task manager to see if there is a spike in the PM usage on the resources but there is none. I tried changing the priority of the program all the way up and that didn't help either :(

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 01:12:28 PM »
O.K. Kirk, thanks. Now back to the problem at hand. I am color classing images in preview. I can advance a few images at a time and then the program will just hang for 30 seconds or so. I've opened the task manager to see if there is a spike in the PM usage on the resources but there is none. I tried changing the priority of the program all the way up and that didn't help either :(

Have you switched back to 4.4.3.3, and if so, does the problem persist?
Where are your images stored?

-Kirk

Offline Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 01:51:51 PM »
Kirk,
I have not tried 4.4.3.3 again. Mostly because I'm too lazy to walk down the hall to get the jewel case with the Lic #  that I am assuming I will need to re-install 4.4.3.3. Prior to this update I had zero issue with edits. The images are on a local drive in the same machine that PM is running on (500gb sata-II). I too thought about the fileserver on the network being at fault. I disconnected the 8 mapped drives. Then to be sure I even took the server down, the problem persists.

Just now I was going through a folder of images in preview. This folder has been open for the last hour and I have been moving back and forth between an edit and other work here. As I was advancing through the images I got a blank image then another. I
  • 'ed out of preview and the contact sheet had blank thumbnails scattered across the screen, in about 15 seconds the screen refreshed and all the thumbnails were back. ???

I have not used the navigator since you told me that it was the root of one of my problems. As a side note I have not heard from the navigator people.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 02:24:35 PM »
Kirk,
I have not tried 4.4.3.3 again. Mostly because I'm too lazy to walk down the hall to get the jewel case with the Lic #  that I am assuming I will need to re-install 4.4.3.3. Prior to this update I had zero issue with edits. The images are on a local drive in the same machine that PM is running on (500gb sata-II). I too thought about the fileserver on the network being at fault. I disconnected the 8 mapped drives. Then to be sure I even took the server down, the problem persists.

Just now I was going through a folder of images in preview. This folder has been open for the last hour and I have been moving back and forth between an edit and other work here. As I was advancing through the images I got a blank image then another. I
  • 'ed out of preview and the contact sheet had blank thumbnails scattered across the screen, in about 15 seconds the screen refreshed and all the thumbnails were back. ???

I have not used the navigator since you told me that it was the root of one of my problems. As a side note I have not heard from the navigator people.

You won't need to re-enter your registration information.  Just be sure to uninstall 4.5 first and then reinstall 4.4.3.3.  I am curious if the slowdowns will occur with 4.4.3.3 as well.

-Kirk

Offline Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 06:26:26 PM »
Kirk,

I just uninstalled 4.5 and re-installed 4.4.3.3. It isn't even close! 4.4.3.3 is working flawlessly, with no slowdown in the color tagging of files in the preview. When 4.4 first started I open the folder that I had been working in and about 50% of that fold came up as blank thumbnails double clicking on a blank thumbnail opened a blank preview. It took a good 2 minutes then all the thumbnails started popping up. EVERYTHING is now working fine. :)

Offline bcap

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 07:39:50 PM »
Just to chime in here, I'm on a MBP with 2GB Ram and PM 4.5 and I noticed too that the preview is slower.

When going through photos in preview for tagging and color coding, I find that it takes a while for a preview to load. All photos are on my local HD.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 07:55:31 PM »
Just to chime in here, I'm on a MBP with 2GB Ram and PM 4.5 and I noticed too that the preview is slower.

When going through photos in preview for tagging and color coding, I find that it takes a while for a preview to load. All photos are on my local HD.

Are you rendering RAW files?

-Kirk

Offline bcap

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 08:04:20 PM »
Nope I've got it turned off.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 08:07:36 PM »
Nope I've got it turned off.

Hmm.  Well, nothing much was changed in the Preview window besides the crop snapshot, 5-star ratings, and horizontally scrolling thumbnail gallery.  None of these should be able to significantly impact performance.

Can you do some empirical testing, with a stopwatch?  Do a couple of runs and average the times.  Try it on 4.4.3.3 and 4.5.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2007, 05:53:11 AM »
Kirk,

In my case PM just plain pauses for a period of time. It isn't a matter where I could say that preview is taking 2 seconds longer per file to load. Instead its a matter where I can be tagging a series of files then after about 4 or 5 files the program just stops to catch its breath :o. After about 30 seconds to a minute its ready again and I can tag another group of files, again about 5 before the next pause.  I am back to 4.4.3.3 and this is not happening at all. It just goes from file to file to file without and issues or pauses.

I am working with jpegs from a D2xs and a D200. I opened the task manager to see in during this pause PM was doing something but PM's cpu use was 0% for most of the period with a bump to 35 and 49% just before it 'un-puased'. Could it be calling a windows service that is slowing things downs or only passing files in such small numbers? Is it writing the color classes differently and filling a buffer that has to pause and be written? ???