Author Topic: IPTC Template -- third issue  (Read 1731 times)

Offline Bob Hendricks

• View Profile
IPTC Template -- third issue
« on: February 19, 2020, 10:04:17 AM »
This issue concerns the pulldown arrows to the right of each IPTC data entry field. In past work, I entered some text in various data fields and then transferred this text to the associated pulldown field.  This information has been saved (Save at bottom of template) and is no longer needed. 

I now wish to start a completely new template by going to Preferences--Accessibility--Metadata (IPTC) Template and clicking the Restore Defaults. All changes to the data entry field,  the ordering of the fields, etc. are returned to the original as-installed state.  However, the Restore Defaults does not remove the text that I entered in the pull-down. Thus, when I load the restored template, all of the data entry fields contain the text I previously entered in the pull-down.  This information should also be cleared when restoring to the default condition.
Bob Hendricks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: IPTC Template -- third issue
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 12:10:14 PM »
Bob,

This issue concerns the pulldown arrows to the right of each IPTC data entry field. In past work, I entered some text in various data fields and then transferred this text to the associated pulldown field.  This information has been saved (Save at bottom of template) and is no longer needed. 

I now wish to start a completely new template by going to Preferences--Accessibility--Metadata (IPTC) Template and clicking the Restore Defaults. All changes to the data entry field,  the ordering of the fields, etc. are returned to the original as-installed state.  However, the Restore Defaults does not remove the text that I entered in the pull-down. Thus, when I load the restored template, all of the data entry fields contain the text I previously entered in the pull-down.  This information should also be cleared when restoring to the default condition.

That system is for customizing the layout of the Metadata dialogs.  It does not affect the popup menu lists.  It was never designed to do so.  You can edit those lists from the popups and delete what you no longer want.

-Kirk

Offline Bob Hendricks

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 12:35:11 PM »
Kirk:

Thanks--I am glad to know it is working as designed.  However, I entered some helpful notes in about 60 of the IPTC variables (brief comments on the IPTC definitions from their specs that helped me to remember exactly what info was wanted). Manually changing/clearing them all is obviously what I need to do, but I think that it would be nice to add a feature to the Reset that would give users a choice to reset these fields to the default values as well.  It sure would save a lot of time. Is this an idea that would be well-received in the request for new features list?

Bob
Bob Hendricks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 12:58:41 PM »
Bob,
Thanks--I am glad to know it is working as designed.  However, I entered some helpful notes in about 60 of the IPTC variables (brief comments on the IPTC definitions from their specs that helped me to remember exactly what info was wanted). Manually changing/clearing them all is obviously what I need to do, but I think that it would be nice to add a feature to the Reset that would give users a choice to reset these fields to the default values as well.  It sure would save a lot of time. Is this an idea that would be well-received in the request for new features list?

It's hard to say what will appeal to users, but feel free to post your request here: https://docs.camerabits.com/support/discussions/forums/48000071283

-Kirk