Author Topic: Drag and Drop Error  (Read 2800 times)

Offline OldRadioGuy

• Retired broadcast journalist/educator
    • View Profile
Drag and Drop Error
« on: March 01, 2020, 01:52:36 PM »
Drag and drop an image from PM+ to an Image Editor shortcut on the iMac dock, and the action produces an "image cannot be opened.." message from the app. The drag action from PM+ is including sidecar files -- both .xmp and .on1 files in one case, according to the editing app. Is there a way these sidecars can be excluded?

_______

macOS Mojave Version 10.14.5
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
Processor 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Graphics Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

-------------
Olympus E-M1 Mark III, Olympus PEN-F

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
Re: Drag and Drop Error
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 10:16:40 PM »
no problem on my Mac (Mojave)
Soizic (France)
MacBook Pro M1,Ventura, PM+ à jour, deepl translator

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 09:19:47 AM »
Drag and drop an image from PM+ to an Image Editor shortcut on the iMac dock, and the action produces an "image cannot be opened.." message from the app. The drag action from PM+ is including sidecar files -- both .xmp and .on1 files in one case, according to the editing app. Is there a way these sidecars can be excluded?

Don't use drag and drop.  PM can't know how the drop target will handle the files so it drags all of the files that belong together.  If you want to edit, make your "Image Editor" one of the editors that PM launches and when you use the Edit command, only the image will be opened with your image editor.

-Kirk

Offline OldRadioGuy

• Retired broadcast journalist/educator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 07:05:55 PM »
All of the apps I have tried via drag and drop have opened the image, but it's the sidecars that result in the error message.
-------------
Olympus E-M1 Mark III, Olympus PEN-F

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 08:06:51 PM »
All of the apps I have tried via drag and drop have opened the image, but it's the sidecars that result in the error message.

PM will always include all of the 'sidecars' in a drag operation.  So you can either continue to use drag and drop and ignore the error message in the app that you drop the files onto, or use the Edit command on the Image menu (or on the contextual menu).

-Kirk