Author Topic: New User Need Help - former Lightroom user  (Read 3321 times)

Offline DadWith2Kids

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
New User Need Help - former Lightroom user
« on: March 01, 2020, 09:58:23 PM »
Currently on the 30 days trial on PM 6 and need some suggestions and help.
I am most concern is the keyword part.  I put a lot of keywords on my photos and made up a pretty good hierarchy keyword list in LR 5.  What is the best way to handle it?  It seems when I export everything from LR 5 to PM 6, every single keyword in the path of the hierarchy is listed in my photos (which I actually don't want all of them, but I won't call it a deal breaker if it does).  For example, I have Location -> North America -> USA -> State -> Town listed that way but I don't need the word "Location" nor "North America" shown.  And it wasn't shown on the LR 5 but it is shown in PM 6.  Is there a way that I can adjust in LR 5 or in PM 6 that I can import the keywords from LR and doesn't show the whole path of keywords and only shows the one that I only check off in LR?  And particular preference I should be using in PM6 to set things up the right way?  I see there is a preference guide on the PM 5 but there isn't much about the detail of the PM 6.  And I don't understand what some of the preference option means.

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: New User Need Help - former Lightroom user
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 09:14:53 AM »
Currently on the 30 days trial on PM 6 and need some suggestions and help.
I am most concern is the keyword part.  I put a lot of keywords on my photos and made up a pretty good hierarchy keyword list in LR 5.  What is the best way to handle it?  It seems when I export everything from LR 5 to PM 6, every single keyword in the path of the hierarchy is listed in my photos (which I actually don't want all of them, but I won't call it a deal breaker if it does).  For example, I have Location -> North America -> USA -> State -> Town listed that way but I don't need the word "Location" nor "North America" shown.  And it wasn't shown on the LR 5 but it is shown in PM 6.  Is there a way that I can adjust in LR 5 or in PM 6 that I can import the keywords from LR and doesn't show the whole path of keywords and only shows the one that I only check off in LR?  And particular preference I should be using in PM6 to set things up the right way?  I see there is a preference guide on the PM 5 but there isn't much about the detail of the PM 6.  And I don't understand what some of the preference option means.

Photo Mechanic 6 is showing you what is actually in the metadata.  I don't know what adjustments you'd make to omit the parts of the paths that you don't want to be in your metadata, but they're definitely there if PM6 is showing it to you.

-Kirk

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
Re: New User Need Help - former Lightroom user
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 02:31:53 PM »
My understanding of structured keyword hierarchy is that is getting all the keywords in the hierarchy is WHY you use them in the first place.  If you don't want all the keywords in the hierarchy, then consider using a flat keyword list.

In your case, I have a couple suggestions.

1. Putting "Location" as the top level keyword of your hierarchy is indeed adding "Location" as a keyword. It may be helpful for your own organization, but rest assured that Lightroom is treating it as an actual keyword.

2. If you double click on a keyword in the Keyword List in Lightroom Classic, you do have the option to uncheck "Export Containing Keywords" for individual keywords. I don't know about a batch level setting for this.

My advice (free to ignore :-) would be to clean up your keyword hierarchy in Lightroom to omit the labels, and then continue to apply the full hierarchy since that is the whole point. At some point you may want to find all pics in "North America" and at that point you will be glad it was included in the keyword list.

-Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits