Author Topic: Metadata Snapshot Paste  (Read 2939 times)

Offline David Roth

• View Profile
Metadata Snapshot Paste
« on: March 08, 2020, 11:17:44 AM »
The metadata snapshot paste from the right-click menu requires a 2nd try to execute. This was pasting over multiple images after clicking "yes" to the warning message. Also, appears to have the same behavior for a single image.

The metadata that I am copying contains variables and a code replacement (see attachment). After copying, I noticed when I open the individual metadata info sheet, the copied fields with the code replacement and variables still contain the variable rather than the computed values; exactly as shown in the attachment. Opening and closing the individual info sheet does not cause the variable or code replacement to be executed. However, the data shown for these fields in the contact sheet label or the Image Info do show the computed values.

The code replacement uses the first four characters of the filename to determine the photographer's name (different cameras).

This technique works fine when using the Metadata/IPTC template instead of a snapshot. Sending an info snapshot with the unexecuted variable and code replacement directly to the Metadata template also works correctly.

Windows 10. PM 6 build 4155

Dave Roth

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Metadata Snapshot Paste
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 09:10:46 AM »
David,

I'm not sure what to do with a .docx file (it sounds like it is a Microsoft Word document).  Could you post an XMP file with your settings, please?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline David Roth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 02:43:25 PM »
I converted it to a pdf. I'll try to remember to do this in future posts.

Dave Roth

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 03:01:31 PM »
Dave,

I converted it to a pdf. I'll try to remember to do this in future posts.

Please use the "Save" button in the Metadata dialog, and post the file here.  The screenshot converted to a PDF (or a Word document) is not very useful.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline David Roth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 01:21:58 PM »
I went through the procedure again and discovered that the reason I needed to click twice to see the data on the contact sheet label was because the labels were not refreshed after the first paste. I verified before doing the 2nd paste that the data had been applied after the first paste.

The question remains as to why the variables and code replacement had not been executed before applying the data to the target image's metadata as is done when pasting from the metadata (IPTC) template. The result is the same if you later look at the target's label or info text. However, if the underlying metadata (in this case {filename}) does change, the result would be incorrect for my purposes since I subsequently change the filenames.

The first attachment was saved after changing the fixed data in the two fields to variables on the source image.
The second attachment was saved after applying the paste to the destination/target image.

Dave Roth

Offline Jerry H

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 04:52:00 PM »
Hi Dave,

The metadata snapshot paste from the right-click menu requires a 2nd try to execute. This was pasting over multiple images after clicking "yes" to the warning message. Also, appears to have the same behavior for a single image.

The metadata that I am copying contains variables and a code replacement (see attachment). After copying, I noticed when I open the individual metadata info sheet, the copied fields with the code replacement and variables still contain the variable rather than the computed values; exactly as shown in the attachment. Opening and closing the individual info sheet does not cause the variable or code replacement to be executed. However, the data shown for these fields in the contact sheet label or the Image Info do show the computed values.

The Contact Sheet Paste IPTC Snapshot has never evaluated variables or code replacements. It was not meant to be used with the copy functionality in the IPTC Info dialog. If you choose to continue using it in this way then I suggest that you first evaluate the variables within the IPTC Info dialog by holding down the shift key and clicking on the Eval button before clicking on Copy.

HTH,
Jerry

Offline David Roth

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 06:27:53 AM »
My objective was to have the variables evaluated when pasted into the target images, so they reflect information in the target rather than the source. Now that I know this does not work with the snapshot I'll continue to use the Metadata Template for this process. I had assumed that both copy/paste processes worked the same and may have missed the distinction in the documentation.

Thanks.

Dave Roth