Author Topic: PM 4.5 Blowing up  (Read 8200 times)

Offline MTBryan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM 4.5 Blowing up
« on: April 13, 2007, 02:17:24 PM »
Howdy. Big Photo Mechanic fan here.

I just installed PM 4.5 last week. It is working great overall, but it seems to die quite a bit. My older version was fairly stable, so it’s definitely an issue with v4.5

It’s interesting, because it doesn’t blow up while in the software. It usually happens when I’ve opened 1 or more photos from PM in Photoshop or Nikon Capture and I no longer have focus on the Photo Mechanic application. It then gives the application error pop-up, then gives this message:

The Instruction at "0x7c2821b2" referenced memory at "0x0000001c". The memory could not be "read".
Click OK to terminate program

It then closes PM. If I bring it back up, it works fine until it blows up again.

I’ve looked around a bit in this forum but don’t see any other reference to this type of problem.

Thoughts?

And yes, I’m running XP, and don’t tell me that I need to buy a Mac because, believe me, I already know that. :)

Thanks,
Bryan Hulse

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM 4.5 Blowing up
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 02:23:11 PM »
Bryan,

Howdy. Big Photo Mechanic fan here.

I just installed PM 4.5 last week. It is working great overall, but it seems to die quite a bit. My older version was fairly stable, so it’s definitely an issue with v4.5

It’s interesting, because it doesn’t blow up while in the software. It usually happens when I’ve opened 1 or more photos from PM in Photoshop or Nikon Capture and I no longer have focus on the Photo Mechanic application. It then gives the application error pop-up, then gives this message:

The Instruction at "0x7c2821b2" referenced memory at "0x0000001c". The memory could not be "read".
Click OK to terminate program

It then closes PM. If I bring it back up, it works fine until it blows up again.

I’ve looked around a bit in this forum but don’t see any other reference to this type of problem.

Thoughts?

And yes, I’m running XP, and don’t tell me that I need to buy a Mac because, believe me, I already know that. :)

If you disable the Navigator (View->Navigator) then the crashing will stop.  I am writing a new Navigator to replace the current one.  It should eliminate the crashing.

-Kirk

Offline MTBryan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Thanks Kirk!
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 02:41:35 PM »
Thanks for the quick answer Kirk.
Since it doesn't crash with PM open, I can probably open the Navigator when I need it, then close it down right away. That's easy enough.
Keep up the awesome work!

Bryan...

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
    • Fairfield Photography, LLC
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 11:18:59 AM »
Was the Navigator problem related to something in Beta III or the final release? 

I beat on the Betas pretty hard and never had the Navigator-generated crash problem.  Now that I am on the general release version, I get bit by it quite a lot when trying to move images from folder to folder.

Hopefully it is not a huge understaking and can be accomplished/tested within a few weeks...

-Mike

Offline Ed Zirkle

• Newcomer
  • never grow up...
    • View Profile
    • Slightly sane photographer
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 04:44:57 PM »
Hi Guys...

Vista Business...

Works until after the ingest and then... here is the Vista trouble report...

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   APPCRASH
  Application Name:   Photo Mechanic.exe
  Application Version:   4.5.0.0
  Application Timestamp:   4615a2c5
  Fault Module Name:   Photo Mechanic.exe
  Fault Module Version:   4.5.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:   4615a2c5
  Exception Code:   c0000005
  Exception Offset:   000ad890
  OS Version:   6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.6
  Locale ID:   1033
  Additional Information 1:   76af
  Additional Information 2:   5c6726b10aa3adc3abcef06d0b13fba9
  Additional Information 3:   abeb
  Additional Information 4:   1db14cc816cc657f072e7ecaa488544d

Read our privacy statement:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409

Other wise all is good...

BTW, put off the trip to SD till 1st of May...

Ed
Feed the Shark...

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 06:40:30 PM »
Mike,

Was the Navigator problem related to something in Beta III or the final release?

I don't actually know.  I gave some people the version of the Navigator from Beta 3 and it fared no better.  We've had so much trouble with the Navigator over the years that I decided to just start over.  I've been working solid on nothing but the Navigator since the 8th and it is really coming together nicely.

Quote from: FairfieldPhoto
I beat on the Betas pretty hard and never had the Navigator-generated crash problem.  Now that I am on the general release version, I get bit by it quite a lot when trying to move images from folder to folder.

Hopefully it is not a huge understaking and can be accomplished/tested within a few weeks...

I don't know if a couple of weeks worth of time would truly be considered a huge undertaking, but I'd rather be doing something else...

I am looking for folks who are experiencing crashes on 4.5 for Windows to test the new Navigator.  The first 25 people who contact me privately will be welcome to see if it improves things.  Feedback so far has been extremely positive.

Sorry for the inconvenience everyone,

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 12:32:22 AM »
I have similar crashes on Win XP with PM 4.5 (PM running in background and I receive an error message of PM closing). I don't know wheter it is the Navigator/PM problem, or just my system should be reinstalled (I don't have the time) but only PM closes like this, none other programmes.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 01:14:57 AM »
I have similar crashes on Win XP with PM 4.5 (PM running in background and I receive an error message of PM closing). I don't know wheter it is the Navigator/PM problem, or just my system should be reinstalled (I don't have the time) but only PM closes like this, none other programmes.

Then you're a good candidate for testing.  Contact me privately by clicking on my name to the left of this message and send me a personal message.

Thanks,

-Kirk