Author Topic: Issue when copying card from Canon 1DX Mark III  (Read 3270 times)

Offline J.A.S.

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Issue when copying card from Canon 1DX Mark III
« on: March 12, 2020, 07:13:46 AM »
Hi,

Using PM6 build 4155 on Mac Mojave 10.14.6

When I ingest a CF express card from a Canon 1DX Mark III that has used the WFT unit, Photo Mechanic always generates an error on ingest.

Screenshot attached.

Looks like it has an issue with a file called comstate.to3 that is written to the CF Express card when using the WFT transmitter.

Not huge problem, you just click OK when the error pops up and then the card copies as normal. Then need to manually unmount the disk (as auto unmount is disabled by the error).
However would be nice not to have the error and extra mouse clicks.

Cards from a 1DX Mark II and WFT copy without any issues.
Cards from a 1DX Mark III that have not had any files transmitted using a WFT unit also copy without any issues.

Thanks

John

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Issue when copying card from Canon 1DX Mark III
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 08:47:18 AM »
John,

Using PM6 build 4155 on Mac Mojave 10.14.6

When I ingest a CF express card from a Canon 1DX Mark III that has used the WFT unit, Photo Mechanic always generates an error on ingest.

Screenshot attached.

Looks like it has an issue with a file called comstate.to3 that is written to the CF Express card when using the WFT transmitter.

Not huge problem, you just click OK when the error pops up and then the card copies as normal. Then need to manually unmount the disk (as auto unmount is disabled by the error).
However would be nice not to have the error and extra mouse clicks.

Cards from a 1DX Mark II and WFT copy without any issues.
Cards from a 1DX Mark III that have not had any files transmitted using a WFT unit also copy without any issues.

Could you please zip up one of those files for me and post it here?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline J.A.S.

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 10:50:37 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Thanks for the super quick reply.

I'm struggling to locate the file.

I've browsed a card that should have a .to3 file causing the problems, revealed hidden files using CMD/Shift/. but it's not showing. I can see the pmingest.dat file for example.
Tried copying the entire card to my Mac and again it's not there.
I found some older .to3 files from before I received the WFT unit in image folders on my Mac, but suspect those are fine as they were copied without error by Photomechanic.

Any ideas where to look or how to find the file ?

Thanks

John

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 10:59:34 AM »
John,

Thanks for the super quick reply.

I'm struggling to locate the file.

I've browsed a card that should have a .to3 file causing the problems, revealed hidden files using CMD/Shift/. but it's not showing. I can see the pmingest.dat file for example.
Tried copying the entire card to my Mac and again it's not there.
I found some older .to3 files from before I received the WFT unit in image folders on my Mac, but suspect those are fine as they were copied without error by Photomechanic.

Any ideas where to look or how to find the file ?

Can you cause one to be generated again by using the camera with WFT?

-Kirk

Offline J.A.S.

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 11:12:20 AM »
Hello again Kirk,

I think I have found the problem

The 'comstate.to3' file is copied each time on ingest by Photomechanic

The first ingested to3 file is copied as is and not renamed.
The second to3 file is renamed to 'comstateA.to3', the third is renamed 'comstateB.to3' and so on.

Once you have 27 hidden TO3 files in the ingest folder and reach 'comstatez.to3', new TO3 files cannot be ingested and create the error shown.

Have attached a TO3 file in case you still need it.

So the short term solution is to clear out the hidden TO3 files every few days from my ingest folder and all is ok.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

John

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 11:41:10 AM »
John,

I think I have found the problem

The 'comstate.to3' file is copied each time on ingest by Photomechanic

The first ingested to3 file is copied as is and not renamed.
The second to3 file is renamed to 'comstateA.to3', the third is renamed 'comstateB.to3' and so on.

Once you have 27 hidden TO3 files in the ingest folder and reach 'comstatez.to3', new TO3 files cannot be ingested and create the error shown.

Have attached a TO3 file in case you still need it.

So the short term solution is to clear out the hidden TO3 files every few days from my ingest folder and all is ok.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thank you for the file.  It's just some binary file, probably only useful to the camera itself or the WFT module.  I think we should modify Ingest to ignore the file and not copy it at all.

-Kirk