Author Topic: BUG?:Set GPS Coordinates  (Read 5807 times)

Offline BillB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
BUG?:Set GPS Coordinates
« on: March 22, 2020, 10:46:57 AM »
Image->Set GPS Coordinates is not saving coordinates to a any PSD file. Other image formats save fine, DNG, NEF, TIF, etc.  Expected behavior?

...Bill
...Bill

Dell G5 15 Laptop, Win 10 with 16Gb, Intel UHD Graphics 630 and NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti 8Gb, LG HDR 4K extended display, PM6+, all caching on SSD.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: BUG?:Set GPS Coordinates
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 11:11:41 AM »
Bill,

Image->Set GPS Coordinates is not saving coordinates to a any PSD file. Other image formats save fine, DNG, NEF, TIF, etc.  Expected behavior?

I'm not sure that PSD files can contain EXIF data (where GPS is stored).  I'll check on Monday and get back to you.

-Kirk

Offline BillB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 12:39:57 PM »
I'm not sure that PSD files can contain EXIF data (where GPS is stored).  I'll check on Monday and get back to you.

Thanks, Kirk. If it helps, my NEFs get converted to DNG which get turned into PSDs or TIFs in PS. If I shot with GPS that data is carried all the way through to both. I just can't add it to a PSD after the fact in PM+.

Regards,
...Bill
...Bill

Dell G5 15 Laptop, Win 10 with 16Gb, Intel UHD Graphics 630 and NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti 8Gb, LG HDR 4K extended display, PM6+, all caching on SSD.

Offline Nobsch

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 02:13:19 PM »
Hey @ all,

Unfortunately I found the same issue not only in PM6 but PM6+.

Another problem - GPS-data embedded with PM6 / PM6+ can't be read in On1PhotoRAW2019/2020 correctly.

It is readable in Adobe Lightroom. I.e - Adobe Shows: 50°4'55.8411" N 8°14'35.5938" E, but On1PhotoRAW shows 50°4'0.000000" N 8°14'0.000000" E -  no matter what format I use in PM6+ (dd.ddddd° etc). So it seems to me it is an "translation-problem".

When I change or embed GPS-Data in Lightroom - On1PhotoRaw shows it correctly as well. So it seems a problem of PM(+).

Any help is aprecheated.

Best regards
Sarah

EDIT (2019-04-23): Took pictures with an GPS-receiver connected to the camera. PM+ as well as On!PhotoRaw shows the information correctly. That means, ONLY manual (on PM/+) added GPS-Info won't show up  correct in On1PhotoRaw.

Any suggestions????
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 04:40:58 PM by Nobsch »

Offline OldRadioGuy

• Retired broadcast journalist/educator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 03:12:11 PM »
Sounds similar to the problem I have been having with PM+. Too often images uploaded to Flickr show the location to be in China, not a place in the United States.

Where the GPS is important in an upload, I have resorted to adding the location data from the drag-and-drop map feature in ACDSee  Photo Studio 6, then doing the upload from PM+

macOS Catalina version 10.15.4
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
Processor 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Graphics Radeon Pro 580 8 GB
-------------
Olympus E-M1 Mark III, Olympus PEN-F

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 02:43:13 AM »
Can you send me an image exhibiting the problem (and preferably also a version that you corrected)? I'd like to analyse what the problem is.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline OldRadioGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 04:50:36 AM »
Hayo, I sent you a DropBox link.

Bob
-------------

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 05:08:08 AM »
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the link. The GPS info PM stores is correct, so the problem really is with the viewers. That said, there might be something PM could do to “help” the faulty software.

The ACDSee version stores the info in both the EXIF and XMP format (EXIF:GPS and XMP:XMP-exif groups respectively), where PM only stores it in the XMP. I think there's the issue; the other viewers incorrectly parse the XMP (or so it seems).

Now I'm not sure how easy it is for PM to also write the EXIF:GPS:GPSLatitude, EXIF:GPS:GPSLatitudeRef, EXIF:GPS:GPSLongitude, and EXIF:GPS:GPSLongitudeRef tags, but that would likely fix the problem.

Cheers,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline OldRadioGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2020, 06:12:46 AM »
Hayo, thanks for checking this out.

Bob
-------------

Offline wazrob

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2020, 02:30:12 AM »
Using
Windows 10 Pro
PM+ 4456

if i start with no exif or xmp data, using PM+ Set GPS Coordinates updates the XMP-exif coordinates only
using PM+ Show Map then uses the XMP-exif Coordinates
if i start with exif and xmp data, using PM+ Set GPS Coordinates updates the exif coordinates only
using PM+ Show Map then uses the Exif Coordinates

To me it seems that PM+ is prioritising the updating and using the exif Coordinates
If you use other software that uses XMP-exif Coordinates only, that may be your problem

Warren

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2020, 03:19:12 AM »
Hi Warren, if I understand the problem correctly, the “other” software is simply misinterpreting the XMP data; they mix up East/West. If the EXIF data is (also) present, then they show it correctly.
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline dennislinden

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2020, 09:04:01 AM »
I have had this problem (with my GPS showing a location in China after upload to FLickr) with DxO and have run some experiments, I have concluded to the best of my ability that the error happens during the upload to Flickr, and something strips the "-" sign. I think I am -122 long but when uploaded it changes to 122 long. It is also NOT consistent... which limits my ability to problem solve this any further.

Offline MgriffAus

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2020, 10:30:42 PM »
 ;) Same issue. I cannot set GPS co-ordinates to psd versions of an image. I set the GPS for the NEF file. For my final version which is the same image but in photoshop format, the GPS setting (show on map / and info about the image ) reverts to a completely different spot in the middle of an ocean.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2020, 10:36:53 PM »
@MgriffAus, @dennislinden can you post/share an example photo? Both the “original” image (i.e. the one before sending/converting) and the resulting image (i.e. the image actually uploaded/converted)? What software do you use to send/convert the photos, and how are you viewing the image (location)?
Hayo Baan - Photography