Author Topic: Moving folder with navigator and catalog update  (Read 4216 times)

Offline schs

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Moving folder with navigator and catalog update
« on: March 29, 2020, 09:07:10 AM »
I tried PM+ with one catalog where my last few photos are located locally on my Mac disk (folder "Pictures\YYYY\YYYY-MM-DD")and all the past projects on an external disk (folder "PictureArchive\YYYY\YYYY-MM-DD"). So far all is fine, I can search the catalog. I then use the navigator to move the pictures from the local disk to the archive. Copying is working fine, but the new location of the photos is not updated in the catalog. Maybe I misunderstood the concept of the catalog - how should I copy/move the pictures so that the catalog is updated?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Moving folder with navigator and catalog update
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 10:14:29 AM »
I tried PM+ with one catalog where my last few photos are located locally on my Mac disk (folder "Pictures\YYYY\YYYY-MM-DD")and all the past projects on an external disk (folder "PictureArchive\YYYY\YYYY-MM-DD"). So far all is fine, I can search the catalog. I then use the navigator to move the pictures from the local disk to the archive. Copying is working fine, but the new location of the photos is not updated in the catalog. Maybe I misunderstood the concept of the catalog - how should I copy/move the pictures so that the catalog is updated?

Did you use drag and drop from with in Photo Mechanic Plus?  What OS are you running?

-Kirk

Offline schs

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 10:25:04 AM »
MacOS 10.15.4 (Catalina). Yes, I used drag and drop. I have seen that when I look at the catalog browse section that within the folder path the newly added folder in the destination disk is not shown.

Offline schs

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 10:57:38 AM »
I'm using Photo Mechanic Plus Version 6.0, build 4456 (c64473e).

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 11:39:44 AM »
Does the folder no longer exist at the original location?

-Kirk

Offline schs

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 11:56:00 AM »
After drag and drop the folder existed at the original location. So the operation is a copy, not a move; I think this is due to the fact that the destination is on an external disk. The folder did not show up in the catalog in the destination volume (I checked this in the browse section of the catalog under folder path). 

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 11:53:39 PM »
Schs said  "how should I copy/move the pictures so that the catalog is updated?"

I had an issue when I move all pictures in another place on the same disk. It is possible to locate an existing catalog, but not pictures.

Mac Mojave PM+ updated
Soizic (France)
MacBook Pro M1,Ventura, PM+ à jour, deepl translator

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 01:32:43 PM »
After drag and drop the folder existed at the original location. So the operation is a copy, not a move; I think this is due to the fact that the destination is on an external disk. The folder did not show up in the catalog in the destination volume (I checked this in the browse section of the catalog under folder path).

Copying files to a different location does not cause them to be added to the catalog at the new location.  People have requested that if photos are copied to a location that has cataloged images that those newly copied images also be added to the catalog, but we have not implemented that feature.

-Kirk

Offline schs

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 10:21:19 PM »

Copying files to a different location does not cause them to be added to the catalog at the new location.  People have requested that if photos are copied to a location that has cataloged images that those newly copied images also be added to the catalog, but we have not implemented that feature.

-Kirk
Thanks. It would be very helpful to have some sort of functionality to relocate folders within a catalog.