Author Topic: Some CR3 files from 1DX Mark III can't be rendered  (Read 2688 times)

Offline kjpeters-photo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Some CR3 files from 1DX Mark III can't be rendered
« on: April 02, 2020, 07:25:45 AM »
Hi all,

Today I realized that most of my .CR3 files from my new Canon 1DX Mark III can't be rendered in PhotoMechanic 6 (and the same behavior is also seen in the newest Photomechanic plus beta). I got the impression, that it might depend on my camera settings, but I have had no time to make a large survey which setting is responsible. All CR3 files render nicely in the recent PS or LR.

I run PM Version 6.0, build 4155 (e068498). The firmware of the Camera is 1.0.0. And I use MacOS Catalina 10.15.4 on an iMacPro. I can send a CR3 example which does not render, but it's too long as an attachment here.

Does anybody else also observe render problems with the 1DXIII? Did anybody solve the issue?

cheers KJP

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Some CR3 files from 1DX Mark III can't be rendered
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 09:58:29 AM »
The HD PQ setting causes the embedded preview to use HEIX data that PM cannot handle at this time.  We haven't been able to get our HEVC decoder to deal with those previews and our upcoming (very soon) PM6 release still won't deal with CR3 files shot with the HD PQ setting turned on.

It may be another month or two before we'll have a solution for this issue.

-Kirk

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 12:35:07 PM »
This setting is in page 4 of camera menu on 1DX Mk 3.  Its called "HDR PQ settings".  If you "Enable" then:
1) HIF files are produced instead of JPG
2) CR3 files have HEVC previews instead of JPEG previews

Our upcoming release has some limited support for HIF files (we can display them but metadata isn't fully populated and cannot do some operations like adjust capture times or change rotation).  They are also very slow to render because the HEIF library we are using is not optimized like our JPEG library.

For CR3 files, you can use the latest version of Adobe's DNG Converter to convert these to DNG and then PM should read them fine.

This is a relatively new format and you may have some compatibility problems with other software.  So unless you really need HDR/PQ then don't enable this setting.

HTH

--dennis

Offline kjpeters-photo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 10:52:11 PM »
Many thanks,

the HD PQ setting was also my guess, since before it worked. Since I need PM mainly for my sports photography job I can easily live with HD turned off.

Many thanks and stay healthy, Klaus