Author Topic: Ability to edit lens type  (Read 7452 times)

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
Ability to edit lens type
« on: April 02, 2020, 05:39:56 PM »
I would like the ability to edit the LEns Type in the Metadata (IPTC) Info dialog to enter non-chipped lens info, instead of seeing "Manual Lens No CPU" when using the {lt} variable.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Ability to edit lens type
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 05:58:00 PM »
Mick,

I would like the ability to edit the LEns Type in the Metadata (IPTC) Info dialog to enter non-chipped lens info, instead of seeing "Manual Lens No CPU" when using the {lt} variable.

It is unlikely that we'll add the ability to edit EXIF data besides modifying GPS coordinates or capture time.

-Kirk

Offline KeithRJ

• View Profile
    • Keith & Vlasta Ross-Jones
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 06:58:35 PM »
You can use EXIFTool to modify pretty much anything.  You can even make it automatic (if using Windows) by copying the .exe file and renaming as in the following example:

exiftool(-LensModel='TestLens' -overwrite_original).exe

Copy this file anywhere then simply drag your photos and drop them onto this file and the LensModel EXIF field will be changed to whatever you put for the LensModel (in this example it will be TestLens.  Whatever is in the parentheses are the commands exiftool will perform.

You can have as many different copies of this file as needed.

To find all tags simply run the following command:  exiftool -list

PLEASE NOTE: the option -overwrite_original will make changes to the original file.  If you omit this option then a copy of the original file will be created with the new LensModel.

Also be careful of RAW files as there is no guarantee it will not damage your original file so try it on a copy first.

Happy to help with anything else regarding exiftool.

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 09:01:44 AM »
Thats too bad, Kirk, as I cannot get any of the available EXIT editors for Mac to make changes too the lens type that PM will recognize. I've tries MetaImage, SetEXIFData and Exif Editor.

I could trie EXIFTool running as command line utility, but frankly I am afraid of not seeing the changes and accidentally messing up a file.

Why doesn't PM recognize those changes?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 09:07:38 AM »
Thats too bad, Kirk, as I cannot get any of the available EXIT editors for Mac to make changes too the lens type that PM will recognize. I've tries MetaImage, SetEXIFData and Exif Editor.

I could trie EXIFTool running as command line utility, but frankly I am afraid of not seeing the changes and accidentally messing up a file.

Why doesn't PM recognize those changes?

I don't know.  I'd need a sample image in order to investigate.  Could you please share one?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 09:36:01 AM »
Kirk:

Here is a sample image after having the exif modified in Exif Editor

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 10:38:12 AM »
Thanks for the sample image.  We're looking into it.

-Kirk

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2020, 05:41:36 PM »
I am continuing to have problems with PM displaying the Lens info.

I took some new images today, so I would have some virgin images to works on. They were taken with a Nikon Z50 and a Lensbaby Trio 28mm f/3.5 lens.

I am running a 2019 15" MacBook Pro with iOS 10.15.4

I used PM 6+ build 4456 to ingest the images. I applied an IPTC Template and file renaming on ingest.

On the NEF, I used an Automator action similar to MickO's to use EXIFTool to modify the Lenstype to Lensbaby Trio 28mm f/3.5 (plus one of the 3 lens optic choices: Sweet, Twist or Velvet).

The Automator runs the executable and reports no errors.

PM still reports the lens {lt} as "Manual Lens No CPU", but if I look at the file with another EXIF editor or viewer, the Lens Model appears correct at "Lensbaby Trio 28mm f/2.3 Sweet".

I then opened the NEF in Adobe Camera Raw 12.2 and saved it as a JPG with no edits other than the default ACR settings. The correct lens data then appears in PM.

Why can't PM show the correct lens date for the NEF? Without that, I have no way of knowing what lens data will appear in DNG, JPG to TIF edits until I actually create those from an editor.

If you want to see the NEF, let me know how to send it to you as it is too large to attached to this post. (25MB),

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2020, 06:12:58 PM »
Mick,

I am continuing to have problems with PM displaying the Lens info.

I took some new images today, so I would have some virgin images to works on. They were taken with a Nikon Z50 and a Lensbaby Trio 28mm f/3.5 lens.

I am running a 2019 15" MacBook Pro with iOS 10.15.4

I used PM 6+ build 4456 to ingest the images. I applied an IPTC Template and file renaming on ingest.

On the NEF, I used an Automator action similar to MickO's to use EXIFTool to modify the Lenstype to Lensbaby Trio 28mm f/3.5 (plus one of the 3 lens optic choices: Sweet, Twist or Velvet).

The Automator runs the executable and reports no errors.

PM still reports the lens {lt} as "Manual Lens No CPU", but if I look at the file with another EXIF editor or viewer, the Lens Model appears correct at "Lensbaby Trio 28mm f/2.3 Sweet".

I then opened the NEF in Adobe Camera Raw 12.2 and saved it as a JPG with no edits other than the default ACR settings. The correct lens data then appears in PM.

Why can't PM show the correct lens date for the NEF? Without that, I have no way of knowing what lens data will appear in DNG, JPG to TIF edits until I actually create those from an editor.

If you want to see the NEF, let me know how to send it to you as it is too large to attached to this post. (25MB),

PM is prioritizing the makernote information for the lens over the EXIF data.  We're looking into the problem.

-Kirk

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2020, 07:34:45 PM »
Thanks, Kirk.

Online dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2020, 06:34:48 PM »
Mick,

The issue here is partly due to Nikon changing how they store lens info data in the newer Z cameras.

I have an initial fix that we are testing (and hopefully you too! - with as many crazy lenses as you can hookup to that FTZ converter).

--dennis

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2020, 08:41:55 PM »
Thanks for the info, Dennis.

That particular Lensbaby doesn't use the FTZ adapter, as it was a mirrorless offering from Lensbaby before the Z cameras were announced, and they we able to adapt the mount quite easily.

The fix that Kirk sent me worked on those Z50 files.  I'll try some shots with other Lensbabys on my D500 and D850 and let you know if there are any problems.

Thanks for your great support. Best in the business!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 07:55:00 AM by mklass »