Author Topic: Deleting empty folders which are actually not empty  (Read 1457 times)

Offline louismccullagh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Deleting empty folders which are actually not empty
« on: April 08, 2020, 05:43:35 AM »
I am currently doing a major springclean of backups. Seleting a lot of photos and folders.

HOWEVER I have noticed that when I click on a folder and nothing comes up in the VIEW and I then assume that the folder is empty and delete the folder I am quite possibly (or already have) deleted folder with photos which did not display.

What is happening is that there is a delay before PhotoMechanic realises that there are photos to display in the VIEW (contacts screen). If one waits then eventually photos appear in the VIew screen. This maybe because the folder is not in cache or because PM is sorting or some other operation before displaying the images or maybe the disk drive is a bit slow.

Is it possible for PM to very quickly come back and let you know that the folder DOES have contents, the spinning wheel of doom or some other warning that PM is working and please wait for results.

I just would like to know asap if a folder has content or not and NOT have to sit and wait for an indeterminate time to see if something pops up. Currently I head to the Finder and check the disk directory.

I run an imac with a load of ram and the boot volume is an SSD plus latest PM.
Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Deleting empty folders which are actually not empty
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 09:18:21 AM »
Look to the status bar at the bottom of the window.  It should tell you what is going on.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
Re: Deleting empty folders which are actually not empty
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 09:39:11 AM »
Taking another approach, I have been using this tool for that
http://www.tempel.org/FindEmptyFolders

It is free. Perhaps you may find it helpful.

-Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits