Author Topic: Closed: “Reuse search tabs”  (Read 3581 times)

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Closed: “Reuse search tabs”
« on: April 26, 2019, 01:46:46 AM »
Reuse search tabs for filtering works nice, but if you disable it, changing the filter does not open a new filter tab, but overwrites the current one. Actually this is good since it allows you to build your query, the only problem is that if you really want a new filter tab, the only way is to create a new contact sheet and work from there. This is not fully intuitive though.

I'm not sure how to solve this nicely since you need to be able to build your query without PM creating new filter tabs, perhaps a button “new filter tab”?

Hmm, I'm actually thinking the “Reuse search tabs” option should perhaps completely go (and be enabled, always) and instead there should simply be a browse button that says “new browser tab”? (i.e. both filter and browse have the same approach)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 04:46:48 AM by Hayo Baan »
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: “Reuse search tabs”
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 07:21:20 PM »
Hayo,

Reuse search tabs for filtering works nice, but if you disable it, changing the filter does not open a new filter tab, but overwrites the current one. Actually this is good since it allows you to build your query, the only problem is that if you really want a new filter tab, the only way is to create a new contact sheet and work from there. This is not fully intuitive though.

Filter tabs are not Search tabs and have their own consideration for reuse.  They do not pay attention to that setting and always reuse.

I'm not sure how to solve this nicely since you need to be able to build your query without PM creating new filter tabs, perhaps a button “new filter tab”?

I think you can create a new blank tab from the File menu already, and it works for this purpose: continuing or a filter will make the Filter result populate that new tab.

Hmm, I'm actually thinking the “Reuse search tabs” option should perhaps completely go (and be enabled, always) and instead there should simply be a browse button that says “new browser tab”? (i.e. both filter and browse have the same approach)

Perhaps.  We'll have to think on that idea.

-Kirk

Offline carlseibert

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 12:47:11 PM »
I like being able to turn it off and on.

Most of the time, I want to reuse the tab. But sometimes I want to blast off several searches and have the returns segregated into tabs (or virtual folders) I can go back to.

I might do "jim or joe" and have them both in one place.

But I might want to do "suzi", then "jane" and have each return in its own tab. 

Filters, from my limited understanding, based on discovering them at lunchtime :-) , are a different beast, not least because they are stacked with an AND on top of search.   I don't see how filters could automatically spawn new tabs.

Yes, doing a ctl/cmd N and searching or filtering or both in the new tab would be the consistent way to do it. And indeed it works.  But I'm all about saving a keystroke when I can.

Offline Warren B

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 02:39:19 PM »

Might I offer a suggestion or two? Attached is a screen capture of a DAM prgm. that shall remain anonymous for now. The image shows almost all the usual info. that I at least am looking for in an easy to access format. Notice that Categories is there with its submenus. The photos in their 'contact sheet' are drag-and-drop in both directions. I can select photos in the contact sheet and drag and drop them onto the categories, color label, place, etc. Conversely I can choose an event, rating, keyword, etc. and drag it over to the contact sheet and drop it onto one photo and it will be added to any other selected photos.

The quick search window with an advanced search button next to it is on the topmost toolbar. Clicking the advanced button brings up the expanded search menu in the middle of the screen. This advanced search menu expands by clicking on the little cogwheel icon next to the Search and Cancel. There's more to the advanced search but I believe this best explains my thinking and or suggestions for right now.

All these menus are easy to see, to access, utilize and it's very fast.

Warren
Win 10, i7-8086K, 16GB RAM, PM+ Build 3029     

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 03:24:34 PM »
Warren,

Might I offer a suggestion or two? Attached is a screen capture of a DAM prgm. that shall remain anonymous for now. The image shows almost all the usual info. that I at least am looking for in an easy to access format. Notice that Categories is there with its submenus. The photos in their 'contact sheet' are drag-and-drop in both directions. I can select photos in the contact sheet and drag and drop them onto the categories, color label, place, etc. Conversely I can choose an event, rating, keyword, etc. and drag it over to the contact sheet and drop it onto one photo and it will be added to any other selected photos.

The quick search window with an advanced search button next to it is on the topmost toolbar. Clicking the advanced button brings up the expanded search menu in the middle of the screen. This advanced search menu expands by clicking on the little cogwheel icon next to the Search and Cancel. There's more to the advanced search but I believe this best explains my thinking and or suggestions for right now.

I'm not trying to be obtuse, but given the way that PM+ currently works and is designed, what are your suggestions and what does this have to do with reusing search tabs?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline timesnaps

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Open: “Reuse search tabs”
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 10:43:48 PM »
Hmm, I'm actually thinking the “Reuse search tabs” option should perhaps completely go (and be enabled, always) and instead there should simply be a browse button

Totally agreed. At least give us this option in the Preferences, if you not willing to remove the mulitple tabs that open open up when browsing

Offline carlseibert

• View Profile
Re: Open: “Reuse search tabs”
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 02:15:30 PM »
Hmm. I just did this.

Reuse search Tabs is working for me just the same in browse as it does in search.  With it turned on, new browses appear in the last search tab - "Search n

When turned off, each new term that I browse opens in its own tab "search n+1"

Multi-selecting appears to OR the selections together.

We could argue about OR or AND, but this is all just what I would expect from the way "Reuse" appears in the interface.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Closed: “Reuse search tabs”
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 04:51:58 AM »
The “new” (since I posted this topic at least) search solution works OK for me now. The fact you can have just one browser and one filter window/tab is workable for me too so I'm closing this topic.

It would be perhaps be a good feature to be able to browse/filter in multiple windows/tabs, but that would be a feature request (@Kirk et al, please feel free to implement this though ;D)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl