Author Topic: Can't Process Until All Steps Complete  (Read 2317 times)

Offline StanleyLeary

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Stanley Leary: Storyteller
Can't Process Until All Steps Complete
« on: April 08, 2020, 05:22:45 AM »
When scanning my hard drives to the catalogue I can only do one at a time. Have to wait till all steps are complete.

When done i would think I could start a new hard drive. I have had to run Clean My Mac to clear cache and restart the computer to add a new hard drive.
Stanley Leary - Storyteller
404-786-4914 Cell
stanley@stanleyleary.com | Website: https://stanleyleary.com/
Blog: https://picturestoryteller.com/

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Can't Process Until All Steps Complete
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 09:22:00 AM »
When scanning my hard drives to the catalogue I can only do one at a time. Have to wait till all steps are complete.

When done i would think I could start a new hard drive. I have had to run Clean My Mac to clear cache and restart the computer to add a new hard drive.

I don't understand.  What forces you to wait until all steps are complete?  Is some user interface element that is disabled?  Is there some message box that is telling you that you cannot proceed?

Scan to Catalog allows multiple hard drives (paths) to be added at once and it will process them all, one after the other.

-Kirk

Offline Gary D.

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 08:04:01 PM »
I had a similar concern.  I set up different catalogs for 3 directories on my computer plus an external drive.   If I want the information from directory 1 in catalog 1 I have to un-click the Add/Modify on Catalogs 2 3 and external. I wait for that scan to finish then turn off Add/Modify from catalog 1 turn it on for catalog 2 and then scan directory 2. 
Could I start the  scan of Directory 2 before the scan directory 1 was complete?    I was afraid that I'ld get the scan results in both catalogs.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 01:17:56 PM »
Gary,

The set of targeted catalogs is recorded at the start of the scan.  You can safely change those check boxes as the scan continues.  You can even change the lists of paths to scan and ignore while the scan continues.

The only thing you can't do is start another one while an existing one is in its first phase (the directory scan phase), but once that completes you can start another.  The Scan button will be enabled when it's OK to start a new one.

Changing the targeted catalogs (Add) won't affect the scan(s) that are already in progress.

-Kirk