Author Topic: Please allow filtering of file types  (Read 2333 times)

Offline jkm

• View Profile
Please allow filtering of file types
« on: April 12, 2020, 04:44:15 PM »
Would it be possible to please provide instant filtering to show only JPEG files?

All I'm asking for is an additional menu item "JPEG" on the same menu that offers filtering by "All" and "Tagged/Untagged" or "Selected."

I have many, many folders of photos with thousands of pictures in each folder, such as come from team members' phones. Some are screenshots (PNGs), others are downloaded images, etc. Only about one in twenty is an actual photo. And I need to cull just those actual photos taken by the person with the phone itself without moving them outside of the folder.

In order to do this I need to be able to filter to JPG files only and then also sort.

Since this is impossible with Photo Mechanic, to do this for the past few years I have been sorting by type (which for some reason takes 15 minutes for a large folder, because it's apparently building a huge sort database with tons of other info as well). Then tagging the JPG files. Then filtering to tagged only. Then sorting as needed to find the photos taken by the person with the phone itself.

But the new update groups the HEIC files with the JPG files. And when I try to tag the JPEG files I get a tagging error.

So I absolutely CANNOT do my job anymore. It is absolutely not possible in PM to do something as simple as show only the JPG files and then sort them.

Please suggest a workaround or just add the JPG only option to the view "All / Tagged / etc" button?

The HEIC files don't need to be culled. Just the JPG files for each HEIC file. I've already have a tool for creating those in ten seconds.

All I need is a filter to instantly show only JPEG files within a folder and still allow me to be able to sort within those JPEG files.

Which your program provided indirectly after about 20 minutes of extra work using sorting then tagging then showing only tagged and then resorting.

But now due to the new grouping of JPG with HEIC it's impossible to perform my job.

Thank you very much for your help!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 05:06:18 PM by jkm »

Offline jkm

• View Profile
Re: Please allow filtering of file types
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 04:46:57 PM »
The only error message shown when trying to tag is

While setting a tag an error occurred:

(That's it. That's all the error message shows.)

But it's impossible to tag any of the JPG files, whether all at once, or even just one by one, because they are grouped each an HEIC file that is apparently unable to be tagged.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 05:07:40 PM by jkm »

Offline jkm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 04:48:10 PM »
The major problem for me is not being able to filter to JPEG only and then sort.

In fact, not being able to do that has wasted about an hour of time in my job each day for the past two years.

This new issue of "not being able to tag a HEIC + JPG" image is just a minor bug that happened to make it impossible for me to work around the major problem.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 10:20:40 AM »
The next build of PM will have another option for combining images that for the most part will return the old RAW+JPEG behavior.

In the meantime, I suggest you downgrade to build 4155 so that you can get your work done.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

-Kirk

Offline jkm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 04:10:22 PM »
Thank you so much.