Author Topic: Headline and Caption Update - IPTC Info window  (Read 1898 times)

Offline hsaphoto

• View Profile
Headline and Caption Update - IPTC Info window
« on: April 09, 2020, 01:05:12 PM »
Hello at CameraBits,

I hope all the staff is safe and in good health !

We have a new workflow for caption/IPTC that we’d like to put on at the paper and I have an issue I’m trying to resolve.

As of now I’m writing my captions via Stationary Pad with a set of variables from different fields : my snapshot for the caption is as follow :

PHOTO {photog}, {source}
- {city}, {state}
---
{headline}
---
- / {dow}/  {day0}/ {monthname}/ {year4} ---
- # {transref}

I modified my IPTC Stationaly Pad template to show the headline field first, (so I populate it with info) then when I apply the Stationary Pad the result is to my satisfaction.

Once this is done to a set of images, if I need to make changes in the Headline field of some single image, I’d like to write those changes ONLY in the Headline field and when I click Save and Next, the headline part in the caption would also update. My issue is at the IPTC Info Window stage and not at the initial Stationary Pad stage.

I hope you understand my issue.

Thanks and best regards,

Hugo
La Presse newspaper, Montreal CANADA.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Headline and Caption Update - IPTC Info window
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 02:26:57 PM »
Hugo,

I hope all the staff is safe and in good health !

We have a new workflow for caption/IPTC that we’d like to put on at the paper and I have an issue I’m trying to resolve.

As of now I’m writing my captions via Stationary Pad with a set of variables from different fields : my snapshot for the caption is as follow :

PHOTO {photog}, {source}
- {city}, {state}
---
{headline}
---
- / {dow}/  {day0}/ {monthname}/ {year4} ---
- # {transref}

I modified my IPTC Stationaly Pad template to show the headline field first, (so I populate it with info) then when I apply the Stationary Pad the result is to my satisfaction.

Once this is done to a set of images, if I need to make changes in the Headline field of some single image, I’d like to write those changes ONLY in the Headline field and when I click Save and Next, the headline part in the caption would also update. My issue is at the IPTC Info Window stage and not at the initial Stationary Pad stage.

I hope you understand my issue.

I do understand.  It is not possible to do what you want (have a previously evaluated variable to update when its data changes.)

I don't know of a way to do this in any automated way.  You could use Find and Replace to search for the old value and replace with the new (it would then update in both places if you set the Find and Replace panel to search both the Headline and Caption fields.)

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline hsaphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 12:32:16 PM »
Thanks for the follow up Kirk !

From reading a few topics on IPTC before posting, I understand some users could benefit (in a unforeseen way maybee) from such a "future feature" if it becomes feasable.

Happy Easter to the team.

HSA

Offline GLS

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 03:56:43 AM »
Hello,
For automating many things in PM, and for text manipulation/updates in the IPTC box I use Keyboard Maestro (MacOS only) https://www.keyboardmaestro.com. Pretty simple to use and you can assign keyboard shortcuts to your macros.

For your needs a likely solution would be a macro that would:
select and copy to clipboard your headline (⌘-A, ⌘-C)
move to the caption field (tab)
move to the 4th line (← arrow, ↓ arrow × 3)
select the 4th line (⇧-⌘-→ arrow)
paste clipboard
type ⌘-N to move to the next image

Assign this to a keyboard shortcut and you are set

Hope this helps

Best,

GLS