Author Topic: This Version doesn't allow  (Read 3521 times)

Offline StanleyLeary

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Stanley Leary: Storyteller
This Version doesn't allow
« on: April 09, 2020, 05:06:57 PM »
After filtering for copyright field I wanted to select all those images that the copyright needed to be corrected in the catalogue. Then I got the message

"None of the selected photos are in a format that can be captioned by this version of Photo Mechanic Plus."

They are all JPEGs.
Stanley Leary - Storyteller
404-786-4914 Cell
stanley@stanleyleary.com | Website: https://stanleyleary.com/
Blog: https://picturestoryteller.com/

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: This Version doesn't allow
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 05:28:23 PM »
After filtering for copyright field I wanted to select all those images that the copyright needed to be corrected in the catalogue. Then I got the message

"None of the selected photos are in a format that can be captioned by this version of Photo Mechanic Plus."

They are all JPEGs.

If you select one image and look at the path in the status bar at the bottom of the Contact Sheet window, is the path valid?  If you right-click on the image, are you able to Reveal in Finder?

-Kirk

Offline StanleyLeary

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 07:23:36 PM »
I did check and it does appear if any one image isn't online it kick out all of them.

Now I am realizing after you make the changes they do not show up in the catalogue as changed. you have to rescan them into the catalogue. That isn't very efficient and difficult to do when you are trying to use the catalogue a way to cleanup your files through the years.
404-786-4914 Cell

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 08:02:14 PM »
Stanley,

I did check and it does appear if any one image isn't online it kick out all of them.

Now I am realizing after you make the changes they do not show up in the catalogue as changed. you have to rescan them into the catalogue. That isn't very efficient and difficult to do when you are trying to use the catalogue a way to cleanup your files through the years.

What kind of changes are you making?  Where are you making them?

-Kirk

Offline StanleyLeary

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 04:49:00 AM »
After changing the copyright in images through the database catalogue the changes are made in the file, but they continue to show up in the search as not being changed. It appears that you have to then rescan them into the database to make that work for future searches.

That isn't really a good fix. Once you make a change the database should automatically have updated.
404-786-4914 Cell

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 07:22:54 AM »
Stanley,

After changing the copyright in images through the database catalogue the changes are made in the file, but they continue to show up in the search as not being changed. It appears that you have to then rescan them into the database to make that work for future searches.

That isn't really a good fix. Once you make a change the database should automatically have updated.

If the images are known to the catalog then metadata changes to the files (by making changes in Photo Mechanic Plus) will be reflected in the catalog.  It sounds like to me that some sort of operation was done by you that has (likely by way of a bug in Photo Mechanic Plus) caused the catalog to lose track of the images.  Working with images that are currently tracked should be completely painless and should not require rescanning.

This product is still under development, is likely to have bugs or missing features.  We need your help to find out what went wrong and then we'll make changes to prevent such inconveniences in the future.

If you look at the images that you're finding that you need to rescan into your catalog, to they have a green circle on them, or do they have a hollow gray circle?  If they don't have a green circle then they're not known to the current catalog(s).  Making metadata updates to those files will make no updates in any catalog.

Your help in finding out how to reproduce your problem is most appreciated.

-Kirk

Offline Bill Kelly

• Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2020, 11:27:14 AM »
Hi Stanley,

If you look at the images that you're finding that you need to rescan into your catalog, to they have a green circle on them, or do they have a hollow gray circle?  If they don't have a green circle then they're not known to the current catalog(s).

In addition to what Kirk wrote, if you do see images expected to be in-catalog but are missing the "green circle", you might also try the Reintegrate option in the per-catalog maintenance section in the Manage Catalogs window.

When the Reintegrate process completes, it will display counts of files successfully located, vs. files that could not be found. If it indicates some files were not found, that may be relevant to this issue.

-Bill