Author Topic: Tagging error on JPG+MOV iPhone photos in Windows [PM6]  (Read 4113 times)

Offline JeffG

• View Profile
Tagging error on JPG+MOV iPhone photos in Windows [PM6]
« on: April 14, 2020, 08:40:46 PM »
Using PM6 build 4484 on Windows 10 64bit, it looks like photos from iPhone cameras with live photos are now grouped together as JPG+MOV which I don't remember it doing previously but may be wrong.

When I now tag a photo that is grouped like this, I get the following error when I press 't' on a photo:
While toggling a tag an error occurred:

Details:
Code: [Select]
No plugin available to handle 'E:\DigitalCameraPics\Incoming\20200412\IMG_5764.MOV'

Cannot save changes to an unknown file type 'E:\DigitalCameraPics\Incoming\20200412\IMG_5764.MOV'.

No plugin available to handle 'E:\DigitalCameraPics\Incoming\20200412IMG_5764.MOV'

I click on OK and the image is now tagged but it is really annoying to get this popup every time I want to tag a photo.  I'm not actually trying to tag/modify the video file, it is the JPG image that I am trying to tag.  Is there a way to fix this in the current build and can there be a more permanent fix applied for the future?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Tagging error on JPG+MOV iPhone photos in Windows [PM6]
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 09:11:21 AM »
You can un-join the images/movies from the View menu.  This problem will be addressed in the next build of Photo Mechanic 6.

-Kirk

Offline JeffG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 03:09:57 PM »
@kirk:  Just got the new build.  Now JPG+MOV are not longer paired, is that the permanent solution or a temporary one and the pairing will be put back again but allow for tagging?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 03:46:18 PM »
Jeff,

@kirk:  Just got the new build.  Now JPG+MOV are not longer paired, is that the permanent solution or a temporary one and the pairing will be put back again but allow for tagging?

We won't be bringing back that style of pairing until we can deal with the issues that it raises.  It doesn't make sense to pair up a JPEG and a video anyway.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 12:49:09 AM »
We won't be bringing back that style of pairing until we can deal with the issues that it raises.  It doesn't make sense to pair up a JPEG and a video anyway.

Actually, pairing a mov with another (image) file can make sense. For instance if you “edit” the movie in Photoshop and save it, it becomes a psd that together with the mov is the edited video. Also a plain image (jpg or any other image) could be a still representing the video. In both cases (especially the first), pairing could be useful. If such pairing were to exist, it should ideally be optional. Separate from the other pairing.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 09:04:13 AM »
Hayo,

Actually, pairing a mov with another (image) file can make sense. For instance if you “edit” the movie in Photoshop and save it, it becomes a psd that together with the mov is the edited video. Also a plain image (jpg or any other image) could be a still representing the video. In both cases (especially the first), pairing could be useful. If such pairing were to exist, it should ideally be optional. Separate from the other pairing.

Perhaps.  But at any rate, combining multiple base image types into a single thumbnail beyond the usual RAW+JPEG pairing isn't going to make a return until we can address effectively the issues that the feature exposed.

-Kirk

Offline mgilbuena

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2020, 10:32:54 AM »
I wanted to let you know that this build (4484) contains THE feature I've been looking for in a DAM: combining the movie & still from the iPhone's Live Photos feature.

Lightroom poorly handles it (latest versions won't import the HEVC file), and all other software shows the pair as two separate files.

For archival reasons, I'd like to simultaneously move the picture and the video when working with these assets. When displayed as two files, that's double work and introduces the possibility of them becoming detached.

I noticed that this feature has been removed in newer versions. PLEASE RESTORE IT, or give us the option to toggle it on or off! I LOVE this feature and I have been searching for the same in many other products. This feature exists in competitor product FastRawViewer through adding *+MOV to the "Additional File Extensions to Copy/Move with File" section of the program.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 01:04:49 PM by mgilbuena »