Author Topic: Extract or Print Metadata from Catalog  (Read 2656 times)

Offline Gary D.

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Extract or Print Metadata from Catalog
« on: April 15, 2020, 07:36:13 PM »
Is there anyway to extract fields from the catalog into a text or csv file?   I would like to get a text list of all the keywords I've used. Im using the catalog browser to work through  cleaning up my keywords (I've fat fingers quite a few over the years).   Once I get them right I'ld like to export them into a text file I could import into my master key word list.   There's a database on the backend. Are there any 'external' tools that can be used to extract data from the command line?
Thanks
Gary

Offline KeithRJ

• View Profile
    • Keith & Vlasta Ross-Jones
Re: Extract or Print Metadata from Catalog
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 09:07:15 PM »
Hi Gary,

WARNING: This should only be attempted on a COPY of your catalog/database file.

The database is a SQLite database and has an extension of .pmdb.  You can use any SQLite tool to query this database but please close PMP first and make a copy of this database file to a separate directory and then use this copy just in case so you don't mess up your original database file.  Look in the directory you created the catalog in to find this file.

I use FlySpeed SQL Query to look at SQLite databases.  There is a free version available and is pretty good if you are knowledgeable about SQL databases.

I hope I have not upset anybody at Camerabits by providing this information  :(

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 09:09:57 AM »
Hi Gary,

WARNING: This should only be attempted on a COPY of your catalog/database file.

The database is a SQLite database and has an extension of .pmdb.  You can use any SQLite tool to query this database but please close PMP first and make a copy of this database file to a separate directory and then use this copy just in case so you don't mess up your original database file.  Look in the directory you created the catalog in to find this file.

I use FlySpeed SQL Query to look at SQLite databases.  There is a free version available and is pretty good if you are knowledgeable about SQL databases.

I hope I have not upset anybody at Camerabits by providing this information  :(

No, not at all.  It's good that you mentioned operating on a backup.

-Kirk

Offline Gary D.

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 07:55:53 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion I'll poke a round with SQLite and see what I can pull out
Gary