Author Topic: Restore Data Absent  (Read 9128 times)

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
Restore Data Absent
« on: April 15, 2007, 05:17:37 PM »
Since installing 4.5, (on a Mac) the image info that would normally appear in the restore window is absent. So now, when I click on the restore icon, only the image appears. I can get the info by control clicking on the image, but that is less convenient than what was available earlier. Can I revert to the good old days when clicking on the restore icon gave me the image info?

Also, I just noticed that in some of my folders, the camera serial number appears while in others it does not? Is there a setting/preference I need to reset? Thanks, Richard

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Restore Data Absent
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 05:23:14 PM »
Richard,

Since installing 4.5, (on a Mac) the image info that would normally appear in the restore window is absent. So now, when I click on the restore icon, only the image appears. I can get the info by control clicking on the image, but that is less convenient than what was available earlier. Can I revert to the good old days when clicking on the restore icon gave me the image info?

It is a bug that will be fixed in the first update to version 4.5.  For the time being, you can grab the vertical splitter with your mouse and manually move it to where you like it to be.

Quote from: rbsandor
Also, I just noticed that in some of my folders, the camera serial number appears while in others it does not? Is there a setting/preference I need to reset?

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying?  Where does the camera serial number appear for you when it does appear at all?

-Kirk

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 05:40:41 PM »
Kirk: thanks for your reply. You're talking to a relative computer newbie. What/where is the vertical splitter and where should it be moved to? The serial number I referred to is the camera serial number. In some of my earlier folders, kept in the Finder, the serial number appeared in the image info. In some it doesn't. I haven't checked the date of all the folders, but think the absence of serial number info occured after the install of 4.5.

Lastly, have looked in vain for the start-up guide on the home page and search feature. No luck. Driving directions appreciated. Thanks, Richard

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 06:01:17 PM »
Richard,

What/where is the vertical splitter and where should it be moved to?

Along the right edge of the window is a thin gray bar with a little round 'dimple' in it.  Click on the bar and drag it to the left.

The serial number I referred to is the camera serial number. In some of my earlier folders, kept in the Finder, the serial number appeared in the image info. In some it doesn't. I haven't checked the date of all the folders, but think the absence of serial number info occured after the install of 4.5.

I didn't know that the Finder had any capability to show camera serial numbers in photos??

Lastly, have looked in vain for the start-up guide on the home page and search feature. No luck. Driving directions appreciated.

You can get a full manual (for 4.4 which should help for most things) here.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 11:50:52 AM »
Kirk: thanks again for the speedy reply. The serial number of the camera had appeared in the image info screen, but no longer does. Finder just happens to be where I  keep folders. Finder didn't generate the serial number, PM did. It's really no big deal, but was just curious why the # appears in image info in some folders and not in others. Richard

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 12:11:41 PM »
Richard,

The serial number of the camera had appeared in the image info screen, but no longer does. Finder just happens to be where I  keep folders. Finder didn't generate the serial number, PM did. It's really no big deal, but was just curious why the # appears in image info in some folders and not in others.

Are you talking about the "Info Text" in the Preview window along the right-hand side of the window above the crop, zoom and histogram tools?

-Kirk

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 06:17:15 PM »

It is a bug that will be fixed in the first update to version 4.5.  For the time being, you can grab the vertical splitter with your mouse and manually move it to where you like it to be.

Its a problem on my G4 laptop but not on my G5 tower...what defines the problem, both running 10.4.8?
Marc

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 11:20:44 AM »
Kirk: Yes. Additionally, having looked a little closer, the frame # info is also absent. Thanks again, Richard.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 12:47:01 PM »
Kirk: Yes. Additionally, having looked a little closer, the frame # info is also absent. Thanks again, Richard.

The Frame number is obtained during Ingest by parsing the last four digits of the filenames as they are copied.  This frame information is stored with the files.  If the files did not come through Ingest or were copied to your system via some other method than Ingest and the names no longer conform to the camera convention IMG_1234.JPG, etc. then the frame number will be missing.

Does any of that explain what you're seeing?

-Kirk

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 07:45:17 AM »
Kirk: the short answer is Nope!. I am importing directly from a CF card to PM . Specifically I'm using a high speed card reader and Command G to ingest. Is there a setting/preference I should check? Thanks, Richard

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 08:07:50 AM »
Kirk: the short answer is Nope!. I am importing directly from a CF card to PM . Specifically I'm using a high speed card reader and Command G to ingest. Is there a setting/preference I should check? Thanks, Richard

No.  I would like for you to send me one of the images you have that the {frame} variable does not work on.

Contact me privately by clicking on my name to the left of this message.  I will send you server upload information.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 03:48:13 PM »

The solution to this issue was that Richard needed to set the following preference: (in Preferences->Files)

"Add tag, color class, and rating to IPTC/XMP:" to [For all photos]

What was happening is that the frame data (which can only be obtained from the original camera-supplied filename) was being removed via edits in Nikon Capture NX.  Capture NX preserves IPTC data in NEFs, but destroys our image preferences when it re-saves images.  By putting the image preferences inside IPTC data in the files, Capture NX preserves the image preferences when it rewrites the files.

-Kirk