Author Topic: Can't seem to choose values in Searchable Fields  (Read 3078 times)

Offline carlseibert

• View Profile
Can't seem to choose values in Searchable Fields
« on: April 24, 2020, 02:39:22 PM »
Hi,

For some reason, I now can't switch a searchable field on or off. Got all excited about the snapshot button and ran into this issue.

-Carl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Can't seem to choose values in Searchable Fields
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 03:08:46 PM »
Carl,

For some reason, I now can't switch a searchable field on or off. Got all excited about the snapshot button and ran into this issue.

Those check boxes have never been able to be modified.  They will be active at some point in the future.  And when they do become active, should a snapshot from the Quick Search field include their settings, or should there be another snapshot button in that window that saves/restores those check boxes?

-Kirk

Offline carlseibert

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 03:25:19 PM »
Hi Kirk,

Oh duh!

That's a good question.

For me, if the Search Snapshot saved both the Searchable Fields and the search itself, I'd just save a blank search with the Searchable Fields set in some way and then save another with the Searchable Fields set in some other way and go from there. One fewer button.

Would that be confusing to other people? I have no idea.

I think I understand why the star icon. Was there a huge discussion about that?

I hope you're staying safe.

-Carl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 03:37:43 PM »
Carl,

Oh duh!

That's a good question.

For me, if the Search Snapshot saved both the Searchable Fields and the search itself, I'd just save a blank search with the Searchable Fields set in some way and then save another with the Searchable Fields set in some other way and go from there. One fewer button.

Would that be confusing to other people? I have no idea.

It's hard to say what people like and don't like.  I've been doing UI design and development for thirty years and some people loathe my ideas and some people love them. ;)

I think I understand why the star icon. Was there a huge discussion about that?

It was a matter of necessity.  Putting an actual icon on the buttons on the macOS version causes it to crash in a framework that would be hard to fix.  So we had to decide on an alternative.  We can use most any Unicode glyph but we chose that one.

I hope you're staying safe.

So far so good, but we're all getting a bit stir-crazy.

-Kirk

Offline carlseibert

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020, 03:43:06 PM »
It's hard to say what people like and don't like.  I've been doing UI design and development for thirty years and some people loathe my ideas and some people love them. ;)

Track record suggests you're doing OK.

Me too, for that matter :-)