Author Topic: Hang-ups  (Read 5127 times)

Offline msturk

• View Profile
Hang-ups
« on: April 06, 2020, 12:17:36 PM »
I notice when doing a Search (on both PM 6 and PM 6 Plus, a page will open with the results as it should and it's great to have this feature. But when I copy a photo from the Search results to another folder, it copies but then it hangs up (spinning beach ball) for awhile then eventually takes me back to the top of the Search page so I have to navigate to the copied photo to try to find others I might want to copy.

I use a MacBook Pro (2014) with Mojave 10.14.6.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Hang-ups
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 01:53:25 PM »
Mike,

I notice when doing a Search (on both PM 6 and PM 6 Plus, a page will open with the results as it should and it's great to have this feature. But when I copy a photo from the Search results to another folder, it copies but then it hangs up (spinning beach ball) for awhile then eventually takes me back to the top of the Search page so I have to navigate to the copied photo to try to find others I might want to copy.

I use a MacBook Pro (2014) with Mojave 10.14.6.

I'm having trouble reproducing your problem.  Is this 'copy' really a move?  Does the file get moved from where it was on your filesystem to another location such that it doesn't exist at the previous location?

-Kirk

Offline msturk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 05:39:23 AM »
The file is being copied from a folder on an external hard drive to a folder on my Mac.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 09:05:46 AM »
Mike,

The file is being copied from a folder on an external hard drive to a folder on my Mac.

I was doing the same thing yesterday (an actual copy and not a move) and the Search results Contact Sheet did not hang, nor did it change scroll position.  I'll need more help from you to reproduce the problem.

-Kirk

Offline msturk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 10:39:15 AM »
That folder on the external has 15,000 images but now when I attempt to copy a photo, no problem....of course. Thanks Kirk.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 10:48:37 AM »
That folder on the external has 15,000 images but now when I attempt to copy a photo, no problem....of course. Thanks Kirk.

OK, please let me know if you get a consistently reproducible case.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Steven Georges

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 03:58:23 PM »
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!  {yes, I sound like Gomer Pyle}
For putting Spotlight search back in PM 6.

I would have been happy to just keep using PM 5, but you never made that 64bit.
For the last few months, I have NOT been able to use my new 16-inch MacBook Pro that I spent $5,000 on because not being able to search my Mac for photos was not an option. I keep 30,000 plus captioned photos on my mac with new ones being added each day and it is critical to my work that I am able to search for and locate photos in a snap.  (The new laptop doesn't work with 32-bit programs, It came with Catalina)
I've been using Photo Mechanic full time for over 20 years, and one of the things I was always most impressed with Camera Bitds was the way you listened to your customers. You can see it in your software.

If you ever have the itch to not show the Spotlight search by defalut again, that would be okay, just allow me to turn it back on in the preferences. I won't mind taking the extra step.
Again, thank you!!!