Author Topic: HEIC file from iPhone  (Read 3780 times)

Offline Penni

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
HEIC file from iPhone
« on: April 25, 2020, 04:02:02 PM »
Suddenly I am getting HEIC files when shooting with my iPhone. This has never happened as they've always been jpg.   And I want my jpgs back.
   I look at the pictures in Photo Mechanic and I am not able to make my check marks in the box for those I want to keep
Additionally it keeps showing me data info which has never happened before. How do I stop the data from opening up when I put my curser over each photo?
Screen shots attached
Many thanks to all you techys
Penni

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: HEIC file from iPhone
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 04:37:46 PM »
Penni,
Suddenly I am getting HEIC files when shooting with my iPhone. This has never happened as they've always been jpg.   And I want my jpgs back.

Sorry, I'm not an iPhone user, but I did a Google search for you and found this solution: https://www.techjunkie.com/heic-to-jpeg-iphone/

How Do I Get My iPhone to Stop Taking HEIC Pictures?

To save iPhone and iPad images as JPEG rather than as HEIC format, follow these instructions:

1)    From a compatible iOS Device running iOS 11 or later, launch Settings
2)    Then tap Camera.
3)    Tap Formats.
4)    Change your iPhone camera format to Most Compatible from the default, which is High Efficiency. The “Most Compatible” setting will automatically save pictures as JPEG files and videos in the H264 format.

I look at the pictures in Photo Mechanic and I am not able to make my check marks in the box for those I want to keep

The latest build of Photo Mechanic 6 should be able to set ratings/tags/color labels and even do captioning on HEIC files.  You can read about it here:

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=13258.0

Additionally it keeps showing me data info which has never happened before. How do I stop the data from opening up when I put my curser over each photo?

From the View menu, uncheck "Show Info Tooltips"

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Penni

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 12:57:52 PM »
Thank you Kirk.  But I still can't get the box to show in the lower right corner to tag the photos.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 01:25:39 PM by Penni »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 02:34:04 PM »
Thank you Kirk.  But I still can't get the box to show in the lower right corner to tag the photos.

Which build of Photo Mechanic 6 are you running?

-Kirk