Author Topic: Feature Request: selective Scan to Catalog  (Read 3100 times)

Offline Earl M

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Feature Request: selective Scan to Catalog
« on: April 26, 2020, 12:54:31 PM »
I normally just load starred photos into a catalog. This is OK for my daily workflow when I add from a contact sheet. But sometimes I need to rebuild a catalog (since I am still experimenting with catalogs) and sometimes I need to add a folder structure to a catalog but only want to add the starred photos.  It would be nice to have an option in the Scan to Catalog dialog to filter for only starred photos or only tagged photos or maybe to only load or exclude specified color tags.

Or maybe there is some way to do this now that I have overlooked.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Feature Request: selective Scan to Catalog
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 09:09:39 AM »
Earl,

I normally just load starred photos into a catalog. This is OK for my daily workflow when I add from a contact sheet. But sometimes I need to rebuild a catalog (since I am still experimenting with catalogs) and sometimes I need to add a folder structure to a catalog but only want to add the starred photos.  It would be nice to have an option in the Scan to Catalog dialog to filter for only starred photos or only tagged photos or maybe to only load or exclude specified color tags.

Or maybe there is some way to do this now that I have overlooked.

No, no such feature exists.  Is catalog size an issue for you?  You can easily Filter by Rating to see only images of a particular rating or a set of ratings.  If images are not in your catalog then you'll have a more difficult time of finding them.

-Kirk

Offline Earl M

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 07:46:53 PM »
Catalog size is a factor.  I shoot lots of action with bursts of 5 - 15 shots and in post I just pick out the one best image of each burst.  If the customer later wants a slightly different image it's easy to find after I locate the pick in the catalog. If I load every image into the catalog then a reindex can take several days or I have to use many smaller catalogs which is not desirable.

The catalog size has not been a problem during normal operations - just when doing maintenance tasks. Hopefully when the production program is released and is faster this will not be a problem.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 07:17:11 AM »
Earl,

Catalog size is a factor.  I shoot lots of action with bursts of 5 - 15 shots and in post I just pick out the one best image of each burst.  If the customer later wants a slightly different image it's easy to find after I locate the pick in the catalog. If I load every image into the catalog then a reindex can take several days or I have to use many smaller catalogs which is not desirable.

The catalog size has not been a problem during normal operations - just when doing maintenance tasks. Hopefully when the production program is released and is faster this will not be a problem.

Beta 18 should re-index catalogs much faster than previous builds.  But re-indexing shouldn't be a frequently used action.  Normal use shouldn't require it.  When the database schema is changed a re-index is required and you will be notified of this need.

-Kirk