Author Topic: Catalog contact sheet results un-sorted by when first shown  (Read 9744 times)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Catalog contact sheet results un-sorted by when first shown
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2020, 06:04:42 PM »
Thanks everyone.  We're able to reproduce the problem and we've fixed it.  I'll try to make a new build of B17 next week and get it out to you all.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2020, 06:39:53 PM »
Please try out the new Beta 17 build: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=12753.msg65531#msg65531

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline LarsN

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2020, 12:04:30 AM »
Thank you Kirk,

It is always a pleasure to see how you solve problems.

The sorting now works for me as it should. I also tested re-indexing and it is fast to me. 15k items in less than 5 min.

-Lars

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2020, 10:43:50 AM »
Lars,

It is always a pleasure to see how you solve problems.

The sorting now works for me as it should. I also tested re-indexing and it is fast to me. 15k items in less than 5 min.

Thank you for testing.  It's a collaborative effort!

-Kirk

Offline Gary D.

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2020, 09:24:45 AM »
Hi Kirk
With build 4666 contact sheet sorting working now,  so long as only one catalog is being search.   
If more than one catalog is set for search then results are in a random order, even if you change the sort order after the contact sheet results are displayed.
 Which from your earlier post is "expected" behavior.

Thanks 
Gary

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2020, 09:47:54 AM »
With build 4666 contact sheet sorting working now,  so long as only one catalog is being search.   
If more than one catalog is set for search then results are in a random order, even if you change the sort order after the contact sheet results are displayed.
 Which from your earlier post is "expected" behavior.

Correct.  Results from multiple catalogs are interleaved.  We may make it so local sorting can be forced if desired, though it could take minutes or even hours (depending on the number of results returned) for the local sort to complete.  We would make it abort-able if you decide you can't wait for the sort to complete.

-Kirk

Offline Gary D.

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2020, 06:38:22 AM »
The option for local sorting on demand would work for me.
If the results in the contact sheet were so large that the local sort was taking too long I would probably filter the results to get a smaller working set.
Im still working out how I'll be using multiple catalogs. Right now Im using 3 catalogs more to understand how to use catalogs than for a specific need.
And for what Im doing now the fact that the combined contact sheet is un-sorted is more of an inconvenience than a hindrance. 

I will be cataloging images from off line drives and images from another photographer.  Occasionally I'll have to  search those catalogs as well as my working catalog and it will be important to see the images properly sorted.( getting images for a given event properly sorted by capture time for example).  For those times an ad hoc contact sheet sort would work fine.

Gary

Offline tgray

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2020, 07:06:59 AM »
I second some ability to force local sorting for multiple catalogs.  Then again, I don't have enough images (30kish) to warrant multiple catalogs, so maybe I should stop breaking my catalog into two.  I currently have film scans in one and digital raws in another.