Author Topic: Strange Thumbnails and Previews  (Read 10410 times)

Offline Photodog

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Strange Thumbnails and Previews
« on: May 15, 2006, 03:47:36 PM »
I am getting strange thumbnails and previews.  (see images, posted)  This just started happening . The images all open correctly in Photoshiop CS2,  My camera is a Nikon D200 (shooting RAW/NEF), acquired images from CF card via Photomechanic 4.3.2 (no problem in ingesting them), working on in CS2, saving  to PSD format in Photoshop.  The computer is an APple G-5, with 4GB of memory.  Everything seems to work fine excpet for the previews/thumbnails in PhotoMechanic (yes, it is even "correct" in Bridge, Aperture and other browsers I do not like as much).  Can you help?

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 04:01:51 PM by oldskier »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Strange Thumbnails and Previews
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 04:08:30 PM »
I am getting strange thumbnails and previews.  (see images, posted)  This just started happening . The images all open correctly in Photoshiop CS2,  My camera is a Nikon D200 (shooting RAW/NEF), acquired images from CF card via Photomechanic 4.3.2 (no problem in ingesting them), working on in CS2, saving  to PSD format in Photoshop.  The computer is an APple G-5, with 4GB of memory.  Everything seems to work fine excpet for the previews/thumbnails in PhotoMechanic (yes, it is even "correct" in Bridge, Aperture and other browsers I do not like as much).  Can you help?

If I get a server for you to upload an image or two, can you upload some files so I can see what's up?  Contact me privately for the server info.

-Kirk

Offline Photodog

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 04:14:51 PM »
Yes, I can.  Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 05:10:38 PM »
Yes, I can.  Thanks.

I looked more closely at your screen shot.  If the image you are previewing is a 16-bit PSD, then you are hitting the limit where QuickTime cannot load images whose scanlines are larger than 32 KB.  On a 16-bit RGB image the maximum width of the bitmap allowed by QuickTime is 5461 pixels wide.  Your image is wider than that.

In the future we plan to ditch QuickTime in favor of our own PSD loader routines that will eliminate this issue.

-Kirk

Offline Photodog

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 06:16:24 PM »
You are exactly correct.  Thanks for the quick detective work!  I will have to user another photo browser until you make the change.  When can we expect to see your new PSD loader incorporated into a release version?  (I really cannot bear using Bridge!). 

MRR

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 06:27:30 PM »
You are exactly correct.  Thanks for the quick detective work!  I will have to user another photo browser until you make the change.  When can we expect to see your new PSD loader incorporated into a release version?  (I really cannot bear using Bridge!).

I'm not certain when it will be written.  I'll see about bumping its priority.

-Kirk

Offline Photodog

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 09:31:38 AM »
Thanks, again.  It will be much appreciated.

MRR